which canister filter??

cichlids209

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Central California
ok so i have a 135 gallon tank right now it has two aquaclear 110 filters on it. Which was for one 10 inch male midevil, now i have added a what i think is a female red devil about 4.5 inches so i will be wanting more filtration . My top three I have narrowed it down to are the xp3, cf-500uv,fx5 . What are your guys thoughts on it ? The prices i have seen is xp3 115.00 ,cf-500uv 150.00 ,and the fx5 i can get for 219.00 but there is tax for that one so it would probably be closer to 235-240 or so. Which is alot more than the other two... anyways throw me some ideas and personal experiences with these given canisters .

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Fx5 is a powerhouse, i have been using them for 2.5 years. Highly recommend. I have heard good things about the cv500s too. If you decide on those, get two like mentioned above.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
I bought a used fx5 on Craigslist for $140 a few weeks ago. Love it so far. Wish I would've bought one sooner. My 180 looks better than ever now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Throwing in another vote for the FX5, I really enjoy both of mine.

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
sweet man congrats, I really wish i could find a used one around me have not seen any thanks for the post looks like fx5 is what i will be getting
When shopping Craig's List...what you want/need is not always available when you need it. Especially if you want something specific as an fx5 aquarium canister filter. Craig's List is not Walmart...where you can log in any time and get exactly what you want.;)

You need to constantly scan Craig's List everyday...and when something specific shows up that you want...then you pursue it. Even then...the item may get sold to someone else...or the seller may have listed the item at too high a price...and not willing to budge.

If you want something now...then you have to pay full retail. If you want something used...at a great price...then you have to shop Craig's List day after day till it shows up (or possibly e-Bay). But e-Bay prices will most likely be higher.

I also have an fx5...they work great...and at a good price.

Good luck.:)

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
FX5 is a good filter, but it has limited bio capacity because of the lay out unless you do a mod (this is comparing it to eheim, im not as familiar with the other filters you are looking at). Are you planning on keeping the two aquaclear filters in addition to a FX5?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store