Ammonia out of the tap

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I been having issues with my work tank lately. Most recently the ammonia keeps on hovering between 0.25 to 0.5 ppm. I just retested the tap water and the ammonia is reading at 0.5 ppm. It used to read zero. I am not sure when this change occurred. It's been very rainy lately so I wonder if the water is being treated more aggressively. I am using prime but still getting readings. How do you guys handle tap water that has ammonia?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I would just do smaller more frequent water changes until it goes back down to 0. They are probably treating the water with chloramines and that's giving you a false positive ammonia reading.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
City water

Strollo I didn't realize they cross react. Even with prime "neutralizing" it they cross react?

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
If it's been raining a lot and considering the time of year, your water could be affected by fertilizer runoff from fields. Depending on where the original source is this you be the problem.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I decided to test the tap for nitrite as well today. It is coming out at 0.3mg/L (tetra test). I thought this was kind of odd. I have moved a lot over the last 10 years and don't remember any of the other places having nitrites out of the tap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store