Best frontosas

dragonfish70

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
San Diego
For me the personality of the Mpimbwe takes the cake and some of them, in my opinion, can compete with the Zaires.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372406838.295769.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372406845.269704.jpg

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I like zaire variants however I really love kigomas the most..... maybe not the top of the line but the beautiful blues and yellows I think makes them pop.... I love my colony, skiddish but interesting fish! :D

One of my males to show some of the coloration:

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
The type I like the best is Mikula. Never seen one in person but every one I see has nick thick dark bars, white background, and bright blue fins and head. Very distinctive mix.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I agree about the Mikula's.

Recently purchased F1 Frys .... a few years of waiting to observe the end product !!

I am also very eager to see the Mpimbwe variant. I was fortunate to run into a Frontosa hobbyist who wanted to do a change over from Mpimbwe -> Mobas.

So he sold me 3 F1 Mpimbwe's, 4 " size, for $20.00.

All I can say, at this size these Mpimbwe would change their stripes from dark to faint --- back and forth. Their blue changes from bluish -> blue purple, again every now and then.

Eagerly awaiting when they get bigger how they will look like.

The type I like the best is Mikula. Never seen one in person but every one I see has nick thick dark bars, white background, and bright blue fins and head. Very distinctive mix.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Your best bet is to try to get f1s off a hobby breeder, try your local fish club and see if anyone there has any. You can try aquabid or ask around on here as I know many of us breed ours as well. (though make sure if you ask you post in the right area/correct title). You can also check craigslist and places like daves rare aquarium fish. Many people on here will probably have good suggestions as to where to find some. Figure out what kind you want first. Make sure you have a tank of 125+gallons depending upon the amount you want to keep (they do best in colonies). I personally like to buy fry raise them up and weed them out.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
I have a 180 gallon where I want to grow some top of the line frontosa. I want the Zaire ones, the Mobas I believe there names are. And I was wondering. How big they get and how many can I have in a 180gal tank? Also what's the growth rates on these guys. Thsnks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store