Filter Media

inkedmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2012
NJ
Im just wondering what kind of media you guys are using in your canister filters, as far as keeping your water clear and keeping your parameters in check.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I like my Tetra Pond BP4000 Bio-Active Pressure Filter

inkedmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2012
NJ

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
that looks good i have a cf500uv coming in tomorow i was gonna use 1000g of ceramin rings and a case of 90 bioballs along with 2 units of chemipure and the pads it comes with. do you think that would work well? i also have an ac110 on the tank at the moment. this is all for a 90 gallon tank by the way

I placed a doble blue sponge at the bottom then a floss pad over them, in second basket also a floss pad and 100 bio balls, in third basket the k1.

Ours have an additional basket so you can add more bio rings or more bioballs, I dont know chemipure tho.

With all these and the AC110 I think you are pretty much covered.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
the bioballs are nearly useless in a canister. ceramics or other bio media would be better use

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
the bioballs are nearly useless in a canister. ceramics or other bio media would be better use

Dont trust that much in biorings , once they get covered by some thin slime-like layer you can say goodbye to all that supposed foot ball fields of area.

Bioballs on the other hand are unloggable and if you use K1 then there you have a close to perfect life lasting bio media.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
true but if you give ceramics a good rinse in tank water when cleaning sponges they do well. i prefer sintered glass products like the eheim and seachem products. either way, the plastic trays are about as effective as the plastic bioballs. K1 isnt cheap and its hard to know how well it wprks in a canister as you cant see it boil and it may not get the O2 reccomended in setups like a bioreactor

Parrotsrule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
United States
Dont trust that much in biorings , once they get covered by some thin slime-like layer you can say goodbye to all that supposed foot ball fields of area.

Bioballs on the other hand are unloggable and if you use K1 then there you have a close to perfect life lasting bio media.

I just ordered an ac 70 and instead of the standard media that comes with it I purchased fluval 500g biomax (ceramic rings) do you think it would have been better to order the stuff that is made for it? Its like a cylinder capsule shape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store