Lights too bright?

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I have an Aqueon T5NO dual lamp fixture on my 20g long tank. I've had the glass hood for 6 months, up until the other day when I poured some vinegar on it to clean up a lot of the hard water spots and buildup. There is a lot more light going into the tank now, and I took a large piece of driftwood out when re-scaping the tank.

My cichlid and tetras have become skittish when the light is on. I noticed when I got home tonight since the lights are on a timer and were off, they were moving all about the tank. When I turned it on all the tetras swam to one corner of the tank and my cichlid hid underneath his cave.

My only guess is that the lights are too bright since they seem to be fine when they're off. Will they adjust to the extra light from the clean glass or do I have to do anything additional?

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
I had this problem when I switched from an old burnt up t5 to a marineland doublebright LED fixture. The fish will get used to it, it just takes a couple of days.

WoodrowRowe

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2013
Houston
I have an Aqueon T5NO dual lamp fixture on my 20g long tank. I've had the glass hood for 6 months, up until the other day when I poured some vinegar on it to clean up a lot of the hard water spots and buildup. There is a lot more light going into the tank now, and I took a large piece of driftwood out when re-scaping the tank.

My cichlid and tetras have become skittish when the light is on. I noticed when I got home tonight since the lights are on a timer and were off, they were moving all about the tank. When I turned it on all the tetras swam to one corner of the tank and my cichlid hid underneath his cave.

My only guess is that the lights are too bright since they seem to be fine when they're off. Will they adjust to the extra light from the clean glass or do I have to do anything additional?
It is not a big problem.. After some days fishes will get used to it but you still try to reduce the brightness

WoodrowRowe

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2013
Houston

My cichlid and tetras have become skittish when the light is on. I noticed when I got home tonight since the
cheap hid kits are on a timer and were off, they were moving all about the tank. When I turned it on all the tetras swam to one corner of the tank and my cichlid hid underneath his cave.

It is not a big problem.. After some days fishes will get used to it but you still try to reduce the brightness
Have you reduced the brightness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store