chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Background:

Tank: 72 gallon Bow Front
Cichlids: All Male Hap/Peacock Cichlids varying sizes from 2"-5"

One of my newly acquired cichlid --- A 5" Yellow Regal Peacock, I suspect, introduced parasite into this established tank. I noticed last Tuesday that the 3" Red Lwanda was not eating. Upon closer observation, I observed a white, stringy discharge. But did not observe 'bloated' condition.

Suspecting that the whole tank was contaminated, I opted to treat the whole tank vs isolating this one fish. Good decision on my part as later on I observed the same white stringy discharge from other fish in the tank. Though it was only the Red Lwanda that will not eat.

Action Taken:

Did a 20% water change.

I put in Epsom Salt @ 1 tbsp per 10 gallon

Medicated the whole tank with API General Cure

Dipped NLS pellet food with API General Cure and sprinkled Garlic Powder. Fish ate it except Red Lwanda. Soon after the Tangerine Tiger stopped eating the pellets. I fed Spirulina Flakes to test if the bitterness of the Metronizadole was preventing the tangerine tiger from eating the pellets --- Bingo....he ate like a pig again.

Results:

After administering 2 doses of API General Cure as per instructions, I did a 25% water change this morning. Again added Epsom salt.

All the fish including the Red Lwanda are now eating the Spirulina Flakes.

Question:

1. Should treat the whole tank with another round of API General Cure (2 doses, 48 hours in between doses).

2. Should I continue to soak their food with API GC ?

3. What other preventive actions can I take to ensure that the parasite attack has been completely controlled.

4. Should I change their diet from NLS Pellet food ?

5. Any other tips/advices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Feed only NLS pellet food and never have a promblem because of food for sure. I have been using strictly NLS for years. Did you quarantee the new arrival? Another treatement with the epsom salts and a water change will not hurt.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Allan, NOPE.

Lesson learned. I have since acquired a 20 gallon tank to quarantine fish.

Thanks for the advice about Epsom salt. Leaning toward this until I observe white stringy discharge again.

Feed only NLS pellet food and never have a promblem because of food for sure. I have been using strictly NLS for years. Did you quarantee the new arrival? Another treatement with the epsom salts and a water change will not hurt.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
you can try a treatment of prazi pro too.
I usually give my new fish two treatments of this just as a precaution.

It's safe and gentle on the fish.
I turn of UV, and start with a double dose. Water change about 3-4 days later, and another dose.
I do about 6 treatments of this, seems to flush out worms and other parasites.

I've never used API General cure, so I can't comment on that.

EDIT: Just looked up General cure.. seems to have praziquantel just like prazipro does.
You might want to do a few more treatments though if the instructions let you.
This stuff is hard to get rid of in my experience.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I did receive my order of PraziPro. I will save his for later.

In the meantime I put half the recommended dosage of API GC as a precaution.

All the fish are eating now.

But will continue with poop watching for any relapse of the white stringy poop....oh fun :(

If the parasite comeback, will try PraziPro ...

Thanks again....

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Prazi is the way to be certain is is done with. With Epson salt it may not be fully flushed. It is easy on fish and does not affect biological so it never hurts to treat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store