FO 120 gallon?

fishman112

Candiru
MFK Member
G'day, i have a 120 gallon (currently freshwater) tank that i'd like to convert to salt.
MY question is, how would i go about filtering it without the use of live rock?, i've heard of fish only tanks working well.
I have a sump, it's about 40 gallons, with a 3,000l/h sump pump.
The chamber without the pump is full of bio balls, and i was wondering if it just put a filter sock on the input to the sump if it would be a viable filtration method?.
Cheers all.
182135_10151006630764059_988302275_n.jpg
A photo of the tank to give you some idea of what i'm working with.
Your ideas?
( i would be fine in using the filter part of the sump with live rock, if that would work better? )

182135_10151006630764059_988302275_n.jpg

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Yes bioballs will work with a filter sock however this only converts to nitrate. Large volume w/c's is how we control nitrate in FW tanks - in SW tanks that can get expensive. A nice DSB will help de- nitrify. There are plenty of nitrate controlling media on the market - purigen and chem pure to name a couple - might want to add that to your plan. Next would be fish selection - keep the stock low and limited to open water fish not reef rock inhabitants to help avoid stress diseases.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
If not tropical marine, then what? Also I would not suggest getting bio balls or any form of mechanical filtration for that matter. Fill the chambers with live rock and get a protein skimmer, you could even make a section for a refugium if you wanted. With that you should be just fine on filtration. Also what kind of fish are you planning to have?

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Then never mind about the live rock, forget that. I have no experience or knowledge of cold water tanks so I wouldn't know but hopefully someone here can help you out.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
It sounds like you are going to collect everything yourself. If you are fill the sump with rocks and sand from where you collect from. I would assume this will have all the organisms you that you will need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store