Away to dig a pond thought I'd ask ur advice

Svlet

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2013
Scotland
So I live in Scotland am away to dig a 11x4x4 pond in garden to keep a gator gar what are ur thoughts on this I don't know anyone els in Scotland who's done this so it's new to me any help welcome :)

elisuwe

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
england, wiltshire
That's going to be a sweet pond! How are you going to heat it in the winter? I live in england and it drops below -6-10'c here most winters, Scotland is colder haha
Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
alligator gar are tropical/subtropical fish. heating will make or break keeping one successfully. Why I keep my gar in a basement pool.. trying to heat an outdoor pond would cost an insane amount of money here.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
alligator gar are tropical/subtropical fish. heating will make or break keeping one successfully. Why I keep my gar in a basement pool.. trying to heat an outdoor pond would cost an insane amount of money here.
Actually they are a temperate water fish and not at all Tropical or Subtropical. they do require specific conditions in temp and conditioning to overwinter well though. But anyhow you are not going to keep them in a pond anywhere near the arctic circle without heating.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Thought they where considered sub-tropical because of their range.. learn something new each day! And as far as I know anyone trying to keep them outdoors in the US w/out heat had to be in TX, FL or one of the other ungodly hot states otherwise they haven't been successful. But... On that note Richard has probably forgotten more about gar then I will ever know! lol. And kept more gators then anyone else on this forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store