10 gallon oddball tank

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hello,
So I have an empty 10 gallon and I'd like to make it an oddball tank.

I was thinking
1x African butterfly fish
1x African leaf fish

And another Small bottom dweller. I know both of the above fish get to be like 4" long, but they barely move so I think I'm in the clear.
I'm really going to deck this one out with plants too.
Who has suggestions on a bottom dweller?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If you can find one how about a marbled datnoid...it's actually a nandus nandus but due to its looks some stores label it as such.

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
I would love to give some suggestions, but a 10g is too small for what you're wanting to do. I would try to do what you want in a 20g min.

Sent from my 5860E using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
im guessing african leaf fish is a ctenopoma species, in that case you'd need at least a 30 but preferably 55 as they can reach 8 inches, you could try a single buffalohead cichlid in a 20 for the bottom though alongside the butterfly

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
im guessing african leaf fish is a ctenopoma species, in that case you'd need at least a 30 but preferably 55 as they can reach 8 inches, you could try a single buffalohead cichlid in a 20 for the bottom though alongside the butterfly
Agreed,I must have overlooked and only saw leaf fish.Ctenopomas also move around the tank quite a bit.I am currently raising a one incher...The nandus that I mentioned earlier,on the other hand,stays around four inches and rarely moves but it eats live fish.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Dojo loaches ( I think they stay small enough)
No... I have kept dojos for 6 years now... My biggest is currently 9 inches... I have had "slinky" for 5 years... Mine are also VERY active... And although they are not "schooling" fish they tend to like to be in groups of 3-5 fish (much like their kuhuli loach cousins...) bottom line... Would now work...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
No... I have kept dojos for 6 years now... My biggest is currently 9 inches... I have had "slinky" for 5 years... Mine are also VERY active... And although they are not "schooling" fish they tend to like to be in groups of 3-5 fish (much like their kuhuli loach cousins...) bottom line... Would now work...

Lol yeah for some reason i thought they stay small lol, anyways i think you should try and do and odball tank in something a little bigger if space permits, you'd have a lot more choices then

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Try a freshwater flounder! Most are brackish but there's 1 or 2 that are purely freshwater if you can find them. Most get a pretty decent size though, but I haven't heard of any larger than about 4 or 5" in aquariums and they don't move around very much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store