Cichlid Community

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
My girlfriend is interested in having an african community tank.

Both of us really like the colors of the haps and peacocks - is it possible to mix these?

Also is it possible to just keep a tank where it is one male of each species/morph?

Maybe with some dither fish? Brichardi? Or another suggestion?

What size tank recommendation?

Some fish we liked:

albino eureka red jake peacock
lethrinops "red cap" hap
lithobates "yellow blaze" hap
stuartgranti blue dorsal peacock
rubescens red peacock
stuartgranti orange sided peacock
usisya flavescent peacock
Venustus Hap
taiwan reef hap
eureka Red Jake Peacock
German Red Peacock
Blue Neon Hia Reef Peacock
Bi-Color 500 Peacock
Dragon Blood Fire Fish Peacock
Lemon Jake Peacock
Red Shoulder Peacock
Benga Yellow (Sunshine) Peacock
Ruby Red Peacock

Not hoping to have all of these - but you get the idea.

Lots of bright colors.

Hoping to have as many different colors/patterns as possible. Lots of movement, and active feeders.

Thanks

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Get the biggest tank you can afford and have space for. That will determine what and how many you can have. All male tanks work well most of the time. Some times very similar looking fish will still fight. Overcrowding is the best way to disperse aggression, but it also means over filtering and large regular water changes as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Do an all male tank and you can mix peacock variants. Otherwise it's hybridapalooza.

I'd leave off the venustus (too big and aggressive) and Lethrinops (will get bullied) and you should be good to go.

Also leave off brichardi - wrong lake and different behavior.

Giant danios and decent-sized barbs can hang with the aggression and aren't picky about water - good dithers.

Get at least a 75g, pack them in and provide plenty of filtration and water changes...

Matt

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Very cool.

Thank you both.

Ill be setting aside money for the tank/filtration system.

What do you suggest for using as a substrate?

I was thinking aragonite, but Ive been seeing black sand in some peoples tanks.

Also what sort of rocks?

I really like the "river rock" look - but I feel like that might not be best for providing good structure for these fish to utilize. Opinions?

Thanks

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
I like black gravel and Texas Holey rock. Sand will damage your hang on the back filter if you have one.
Not if you're smart, turn off your filter when you are doing water changes so any sand that gets stirred up into the water column doesn't get sucked into the filter. Once everything has settled turn the filter back on...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Make sure when adding fish, add in groups. Easier to keep peace and calm if you start with young adults versus adults. Get them when they are young and let them grow together.

Will advise against Venustus. When they mature, could get overly aggressive.

Also include in your budget a spare tank just in case one of the males goes out of hand.

As for me, I settled with all male hap/peacock cichlids. Females could lead the males for some nasty aggressive behavior.

csolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
United States
I would 2nd that comment about having a hospital/time-out tank. You will most likely be removing and trading fish in and out due to aggression. Their aggression will often change the older they get. Overstocking is also a must for an all male tank.
I tried keeping an all male mix for over a year and in the end felt like I was tricked by all the pretty colors & popularity.
Good luck with the new setup.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Also tell the fish while they are sifting the sand not to spit it near your filter intakes. Beleive me sand will destroy your hob's in time no matter what you do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store