Green moray eel

Henrikorg1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2011
Borbjerg Denmark
Hi noob here with marine tanks i am working on converting my around 825 gallon fishtank to seawater,i have bought a skimmer designed for 1300-1400 gallons off water and im making a 105-110 gallon refugium also so that shouldt be ok.
The question is really about the green moray eel,i have made arrangements with 2 public aquariums to recieve my fish if they get to big or to aggresive to handle,anything speciel i shouldt be aware off ? Speciel things to consider with this kind off fish ?
I will eventually get a bars/grouper fish and maybe a couple off more fish when the tank is run in properly,but im not in a rush adding more fish.
I have read what i could find about moray eels and seen all vids i couldt find about them but wouldt like to hear from some one that actually kep these magnificent animals.
Thx for all the help you guys can chip in with.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
We had one at an lfs I used to work at and the only advice I really have for you is to be careful. It was by far one of the most aggressive morays I have ever taken care of and they grow extremely fast! Sound like your tank is definitely big enough to house this thing for a while and just make sure the grouper is a lot bigger than the moray but not to big for eat to it eat. I have a fimbriated eel that attacked a butterfly that was waaaaay too big for it to eat and the next day the butterfly died. Probably from the bacteria that morays have in their mouths. Works pretty much like Komodo dragons.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Henrikorg1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2011
Borbjerg Denmark
Thx aw3s0m3
Im aware that i ned to be carefull around it but when i see something like these i wonder how aggressive they really are when handlet correctly ?
[video=youtube;3H1ipbS3q6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H1ipbS3q6s[/video]

Due to the size of my tank i have to get in it from time to time to do maintenance work or cleaning but im around 250 pound guy so i kind of doubt it will attack me as long as i leave it alone in its corner and feed it before entering the tank.
But i will try to pet it and kep it as friendly as possible,sofar i have had succes with almost all bigger freshwater fish i have had the last 25 + years.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Those are some epic videos! Just don't take any chances. Make sure its well fed and don't allow it to feel threatened by your presence. Like everyone says, each individual has its own personality. Hopefully you'll get a nice docile one like these.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Henrikorg1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2011
Borbjerg Denmark
I have ordered the smallest one possible so it can get used to me before i reaches a dangerus size,and also due to shipment costs to denmark,the smallest one i little more than 200 dollars and the biggest i could order less than half full grown size around 1200-1400 dollars,no one here sells or keps this kind off fish so i can only get tips hints and helps from outside denmark,so every thing i can learn in here and other places like this is of great value to me.
I kep my fingers crossed that i will get the most relaxed green moray there is in the world,i have choosen to use the same importer that delivers fish for the 2 biggest public aquariums here in dk and said i will pay extra for tame as they have specimen,so now it is out off my hands until it gets here.
I also have softshell turtles and even if the florida softshell turtle is known to be little aggresiv mine is handfeed everyday and i even take him out and bring with med on the couch letting him sleep on my belly with my hands folded around him to kep him warm,so i really cant see why the same shouldnt be possible with the moray eel,maybe ecxept for having it sleeping on my belly ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store