"Cold" Marine tanks.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
So, has anybody got saltwater tanks that are either unheated or even chilled?
Obviously it can be done, see public aquariums, but it seems to be extremely rare in the hobby.
Also, how would you go about filtering such a tank? LR is tropical obviously so the rest of the filtration must be immense if I'm not mistaken..
Thanks in advance.

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
There is bacteria in every aquatic environment, regardless of temperature. The rock will eventually become live.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BigFinn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
America
I've always wanted to do a cold marine native tank with spot, croaker, and flounder. That would be awesome. My dad really wants a bug founder tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
I've had a friend down in aussie land (australia) who has a temperate tank with native cowfish, starfish etc. Makes me very jealous, but more of an excuse to move to aussie land someday. He used a protein skimmer and a wet dry if I'm not mistaken... I'll ask him for you.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It doesn't really make a difference I'd say from where the livsestock comes. I don't think south Aus fish and European/Na fish are any different in care, same as in freshwater.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
The main issue is condensation. I have kept a small cold-water marine tank, but the thing would sweat most of the year. Extra-thick acrylic will negate this, but makes for an expensive build.

Other than that, it is really no different from a warm marine tank. They do say that you need more bio because bacteria metabolize slower at lower temps, but I can't say for certain how true that is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store