Ball valve?

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Wondering if any of you sump users are using ball valves on your return line? If so, any problems?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I have ball valves on all my drains and on my returns. The only ones that get used are the drains, I never touch the ones on my returns. No problems.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Ok but do I really need one if I'm not worried about the return line flow rate? Or are they beneficial for other reasons?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Ok but do I really need one if I'm not worried about the return line flow rate? Or are they beneficial for other reasons?
You dont really need one if you're worried about return pump flow rate. I do not like check valves, so I use one incase there is a power outage and i need to stop water from siphoning into my sump from my tank.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I have one which I use in water changes. my sump will take the siphon through the return line, but its easier to keep the water in the tank so I know how much im taking out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
You dont really need one if you're worried about return pump flow rate. I do not like check valves, so I use one incase there is a power outage and i need to stop water from siphoning into my sump from my tank.
Cool I'm going to add one I never thought about how useful they can be during maintenance...just wasn't sure if they gum up easily or not

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I use gate valves on all of my plumbing to and from my sump. Honestly you probably dont need them anywhere besides the return line, by putting a gate on the return you can adjust the flow rate to be exactly the way you want it (finer tuning than a ball); allowing you to control the over all water flow.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use ball valves on all my return lines, and also use them to send water to the garden during water changes. By opening the valve i can send 100 gallons to the garden in about 10 minutes, fast water changes, and watering done at the same time.
It is also a good idea to exercise those valves every week or so, just a little tweek back and forth so they don't get frozen from minerals or gunk.
The valve below is one that when closed, water goes to the sump. when opened, water goes out to the garden.

And because I have multiple tanks on a sump, ball valves are used to adjust the flow to different tanks.

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
I honestly don't see the point of using them on the drain lines unless you're using a full siphon style overflow, like a herbie, or bean animal setup

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I do not like check valves, so I use one incase there is a power outage and i need to stop water from siphoning into my sump from my tank.
What do you do if there is a power outage while you're asleep or at work?

I wouldn't use a ball valve on the return line for any reason other than duanes stated, for redirecting flow elsewhere. If your pump is too powerful for your fish or drains I'd look at putting a T piece in the return and putting the ball valve on that to allow you to bleed off some of the excess flow, rather than trying to strangle your pump into flowing less.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store