white spot on Gar's head???

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Please help , I don't know what this spot is, it was smaller and has been slowly growing. I have 2 gar from bluegrass aquatics, have had them for 3 months now in a 200gal tank. All good water conditions, I have 8 other tanks so I'm pretty good about water quality.what should I do please help thanks IMG_20130630_231230.jpgIMG_20130630_231040.jpg

IMG_20130630_231040.jpg

IMG_20130630_231230.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Can you supply specific numbers for your parameters? Please include Ph and hardness if possibile.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Ammonia nitrates nitrites all 0 and ph is 7.8-8.0 and the water is hard. Not sure exact hardness.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
PS. The Gar is still eating normal and swimming normal nothing unusual and there are 2 Gar in the tank and the other is doing just fine.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it is hiting its head when it breaths. How much space do you have in the top to breath?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
There is over 1.5 inches, like I said in the beginning I have 9 tanks up and running, I do research on all fish I get before I get them and learn how to properly care for them, I just don't come across illness very often as all my tanks are pristine in there water quality. Just don't know how to treat this and I've heard that Gar need less in dose on meds. Thanks

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Nitrates can't be zero but for arguement sake lets assume they are low. The Ph and hardness are key factures here. Do a 50% water change and treat with API Triple Sulfa or Kenamycin if it's available. Triple might be easier to find and will work well in your water parameters. Keep in mind many antibiotics are not effective in high PH/hard water so do just can't just anything. Remember to remove any carbon from the syatem if you use it.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Nitrates can't be zero but for arguement sake lets assume they are low. The Ph and hardness are key factures here. Do a 50% water change and treat with API Triple Sulfa or Kenamycin if it's available. Triple might be easier to find and will work well in your water parameters. Keep in mind many antibiotics are not effective in high PH/hard water so do just can't just anything. Remember to remove any carbon from the syatem if you use it.
I missed the nitrates at zero, yeah that is not possible.

PH/hardness really don't effect gars. Only Cubans are sensitive to them. Carbon should be removed.

Increase water changes I agree with, meds not so much with gars.

As to the problem, what is the decor in the tank? Anything sharp? My point is that that looks more like a scrape than an illness.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Ph and hardness are not typicly important as far as adaptability go Gars generally tolerate a pretty wide range. I was refering to which med would be apprpriate at those levels. Sulfa can be used effectivly however the dosage should be adjusted down accordingly but not so far as to render it ineffective. I was going to review this with the op when he replyed. If you (OP) are not comfortable with using meds on a gar as some are not. Salt can be used a frist line treatment and is safe to use with sulfa should a secondary infection develop.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Ph and hardness are not typicly important as far as adaptability go Gars generally tolerate a pretty wide range. I was refering to which med would be apprpriate at those levels. Sulfa can be used effectivly however the dosage should be adjusted down accordingly but not so far as to render it ineffective. I was going to review this with the op when he replyed. If you (OP) are not comfortable with using meds on a gar as some are not. Salt can be used a frist line treatment and is safe to use with sulfa should a secondary infection develop.
That ends up with mine and many many gar peoples statements that for the most part gars and meds don't mix to well. I use as little meds as I can. Salt, clean water and temp are the best meds when it comes to most acient fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store