Too HOT!!

diveriter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Jacksonville Florida
I have a 240g 8x2x2 acrylic community reef tank. I have a glass 75g sump/refruge. I'm running 2 Mag18 pumps. There are 2 2" drains and each pump is in sump and pushing 2 1" returns each. There are 2 400w heaters in the drain area set to 78 degrees. For lights I'm running 1 48" x 8" Saltwater; 216 watt and 1 36" x 8" Saltwater; 156 watt (about to swap for another 48") made by Current USA. The tops are open on the tank and the lights are about 6" above the water.

Now... the tank temp from a Coralife Digital Thermometer is showing 83 degrees! I have GOT to get this down before it starts cooking my few pieces of coral. I just made a 3 sided canopy with lids and plan to have the lights mounted outside over a opening to allow the light in and 2 120mm fans on one end blowing in and 2 120mm fans on the other end blowing out.

Thank you for your input,

David

ETA: House stays at 78 degrees while gone. I kick it down to 76 when I get home @ 6 and then 74 around 8 until 8am when it goes back to 78.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Unplug the heaters, the pumps should be generating enough heat to maintain 78F.

A chiller would also help.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
A couple things, bring heaters to around 76, and also dont rack up your heatin bill by heatin your house when your not home only to turn it down when you are at home. Doesnt make sense. If you think you need it, you could also get a chiller

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

diveriter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Jacksonville Florida
I turned both heaters off and I added 2 6" clip on fans, one on each end blowing across the top. The lights were off all night as usual. They turn off at 11 and back on at 11am. When I woke this am the temp was 74.5 degrees with both pumps running. Will have to see what it is when I get home.

David

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
A couple things, bring heaters to around 76, and also dont rack up your heatin bill by heatin your house when your not home only to turn it down when you are at home. Doesnt make sense. If you think you need it, you could also get a chiller

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I don't think he is heating his house in Florida in July. Just say'n

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Running two Mag Drive 18s submerged is the equivalent of running a 300W heater, 24/7 (click on the following link and scroll down about halfway to "Q: How much heat does my submersible pump add to the aquarium?" for an interesting read: http://www.beananimal.com/articles/thermodynamics-for-the-aquarist.aspx).

Running them externally will help reduce heat transfer to the water. Another option is to get more efficient pumps. Swapping out the Mag 18s that consume 150 watts each for two Laguna Max Flo 2000s which consume only 80 watts each will cut your power consumption almost in half, reduce energy/heat into your system and will give you more flow (you can always valve the pump down if that is not desired).

It's been 100F+ for the past few days where I live and my tank is up to 84F (heaters set to 78F). Luckily the species I keep don't mind the warmer temps.

As you saw, it's amazing how much fans can help bring down the temp. Before going out and buying an expensive chiller, I would consider buying a Temperature controller that will kick your fans on when the water gets too warm and turn them off once your set point is achieved. Plug your fans into the controller and when it exceeds your set point by 1F, the controller will open the circuit and turn the fans on until you set point is achieved. Using a controller you won't have the issue of huge temperature swings by leaving your fans on for hours until you are able to check on the tank's temp. You can get a prewired controller from Jehmco for $77: http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html I would definitely go this route and see how it works versus buying an expensive chiller. If it ends up not working, you can always use the controller for your heaters.

Good luck.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
As you saw, it's amazing how much fans can help bring down the temp. Before going out and buying an expensive chiller, I would consider buying a Temperature controller that will kick your fans on when the water gets too warm and turn them off once your set point is achieved. Plug your fans into the controller and when it exceeds your set point by 1F, the controller will open the circuit and turn the fans on until you set point is achieved. Using a controller you won't have the issue of huge temperature swings by leaving your fans on for hours until you are able to check on the tank's temp. You can get a prewired controller from Jehmco for $77: http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html I would definitely go this route and see how it works versus buying an expensive chiller. If it ends up not working, you can always use the controller for your heaters.

Good luck.
^this exactly

diveriter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Jacksonville Florida
Temp was at 75.5 when I got home. Up 1 degree from when I left this morning. I know today was raining and cooler. I did turn on one of my heaters in my sump set at 77. I don't want it too cold right.? But good lord there seemed to be a lot more evaporation than normal... Time for the auto top off to be installed.

David

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store