Filtration Problem: Need a creative solution

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
So I recently purchased a new 100 gallon aquarium, and I want to have it sitting on the floor rather than on a stand. First off I have checked with my home builder and my floor can handle the weight. My question is: I always use canister filters for my tanks but I know that most filters require the filter to be around two feet lower than the bottom of the water level. I want to keep oscars in this tank so I need a fairly good filter system. Does anybody know of a different method of filtration that would be adequate, or if a canister filter would work sitting on the floor with the tank? Please let me know if you have any solutions as I would like to get this new tank up and running! Thank you!

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Canister filters should still work. I have seen them raised off the ground to be level with a tank on a stand and it worked just fine. Just see what you can do about verifying it can be used at the same level. Also buy it from a store and you can always easily return it without having to deal with the hassle of shipping stuff back or wasting your money on shipping.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Canister filters should still work. I have seen them raised off the ground to be level with a tank on a stand and it worked just fine. Just see what you can do about verifying it can be used at the same level. Also buy it from a store and you can always easily return it without having to deal with the hassle of shipping stuff back or wasting your money on shipping.

+1 what kind of canister do you think you would run?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
why would you want to look at your fish so low in the first place? But you could easily put two that large Aqua Clear 110 filters on a 100 gallon tank they work as bio and mechanical and they move over 400 gallons an hour each

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A short while ago I had a fifty five sitting directly on the floor but it was ran with hang ons.I had no other option at the time until I built my stand for it...Like Noel I'm just curious as to why you want the tank so low?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
as long as the water level is below the entire canister i think you will be ok. i tried this before and the hose fittings that came off the filter were above the water and i had a really bad problem with air in the system. i would use hob just to be safe

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I see no reason why canisters couldn't still work. The AC110 idea is also a good one.

Moved to Setup and Filtration.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I was planning to use a marineland C-360 Canister but I will look into the aqua clear 110. Thanks for that info. The reason I am going to have the tank so lo is I'm customizing the aquarium into a tv stand below a wall mounted flat screen. I will need to do a bit of wood work for it but I will post pictures as I go along. Thanks again for the info guys very helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store