Would filter socks help?

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I clean my canister filter monthly and do water changes weekly. I have high nitrates though. Every month when I break down the canister, there is a lot of gunk and I feel that this is sort of a "nitrate factory." I had the idea though to put a fine filter sock(s) over my filter intakes. I am hoping this would prevent any debris from entering the filter? I will be cleaning the filter sock ever 2-3 days. Because no detritus enters the filter, will this keep it clean and prevent the whole "nitrate factory" thing? Of course, I wouldn't use this as an excuse to neglect filter maintenance monthly. I am just wondering if this is a good idea and will help. Also does anyone else do this currently?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
You don't do enough water changes or your tank is over stocked if your seeing nitrates with regular maintenance.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
It's not very efficient to put a filter sock over your intakes, plus it could damage your filter.

Maybe add an HOB filter for extra mech?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
How high are your nitrates? They need to be up around 40 PPM before they will cause any health issues.
Check them out of the tap. Some areas have high nitrates naturally. I also think putting a sock over the intake is a bad idea.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How high are your nitrates? They need to be up around 40 PPM before they will cause any health issues.
Check them out of the tap. Some areas have high nitrates naturally. I also think putting a sock over the intake is a bad idea.
Nitrates are around 40-50 ppm :( I guess I will do more frequent water changes.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
While I know there is no substitute for quality water changes. ...... How many of you all have checked out the Sticky here for Probiotics in Aquaria thread?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture-(Read!)

I think for tank and fish health its a subject many would be all over. It works and works well. It can help in many ways of the health of your tank.

I think most members here should give the ENTIRE thread a good read as well as the links to various information posted in that thread.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Yep, cut back on feeding and do more water changes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with dxdx, you never want to restrict flow to your pump, it tends to burn out pumps faster. Restricting flow out is the better method, but not your intent.
But also, 20 ppm nitrates and up have been shown to create stress for many fish, creating disease conditions. More frequent water changes are what you really need, with vacuuming the substrate.
You may surprised to find most natural waters, other than stagnant swamps, have nitrate levels of less than 1ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store