New to fronts.

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
So i grabbed a big male Burundi today for the low low price of free,and I want to find some of the red ones to put with him where can I buy them at like 6 or so inches and pref female
Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Hard to find big reds. Purists don't like them generally and it takes effort to breed fronts so not as available as you would think. Check aquabid or the classifieds here on a regular basis and post up wanted posts on this and other African related forums and you might get lucky. More likely you will have to get babies and grow them your self.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
Well reds are just line bred Burundis with a genetic mutation. Why would purists not like a purebred fish?

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Most dedicated Front breeders, do it to keep the line as pure as wild caught and will change up their breeding stock every know and then to bring in new blood lines. Line breeding does happen and the fry a usually culled, as line breeding just like cross breeding is frowned upon and are not considered pure.

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
But linebreds are purebred... How would they be anything else?

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Well reds are just line bred Burundis with a genetic mutation. Why would purists not like a purebred fish?

The combination of both the genetic mutation and the inbreeding which allowed for its prevalence is generally frowned upon. Line breeding and inbreeding are the exact same thing, only difference is context. Purists want fish as they are in the lake, which is why we go to so much trouble getting fish from a verifiable locale.

I personally don't have an issue with single species mutations as long as outcrossing is done to make the line strong. Albino, piebald, and whatever reds are (my suspicion is either hypomelanistic or tyrosinase positive albino) are all single gene mutations and do not require the cross of multiple species or locale morphs. That being said it is unlikely that what we refer to as Burundi fronts are pure anymore unless you get recent imports or progeny of such.

In the end get what you like and do your best to produce strong fry of that type. And most importantly be 100% honest when you sell your fry so everyone knows what they are getting.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, with black widow fronts, and reds both being Burundi, if one were to breed them back to standard Burundi, the fry produced would simply be Burundi correct since all three are Burundi correct?

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Well, with black widow fronts, and reds both being Burundi, if one were to breed them back to standard Burundi, the fry produced would simply be Burundi correct since all three are Burundi correct?

Yes, but what people are concerned about is exactly what they are getting.

For example, if you breed a black widow Burundi to a red Burundi, you cannot sell the fry as simply Burundi.
You would have to specify black widow x red Burundi frontosa.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
But both are Burundi collection point and both are C. Frontosa so why would I have to specify? Now if it was C. Gibberosa "Moba" x C. Frontosa "Burundi" then I would have a hybrid, and would specify.

But speaking of genetics like that... I wonder if it would be possible to combine the "black widow" and the red strains similar to how they did the ebjd x gold jds to make platinum jack dempseys... We could over the next decade have "red widow" Burundi Frontosa!

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
But both are Burundi collection point and both are C. Frontosa so why would I have to specify? Now if it was C. Gibberosa "Moba" x C. Frontosa "Burundi" then I would have a hybrid, and would specify.

But speaking of genetics like that... I wonder if it would be possible to combine the "black widow" and the red strains similar to how they did the ebjd x gold jds to make platinum jack dempseys... We could over the next decade have "red widow" Burundi Frontosa!
You just can't sell genetic crosses within the same species without specifying.
I mean you can if you want, but nobody who knows anything about fronts will buy from you. I certainly would not

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store