pump problem

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
today i transfered my quiet one 6000 from one tank to another tank for usage with a sump, but the pump would not work with the new sump. the pump turns own and makes noises but after a couple seconds to a good 20 seconds teh pump will turn off. If i try turning it back on sometimes it will work again or sometimes it wont. When i touch the body of the pump it is really hot. I took out the impeller and everything looks fine. What could be wrong w it? or am i just gonna have to replace it?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Pretty sure it is overheating on you. You gotta take it apart and check the ceramic shaft for wear. Also check the impeller housing of the pump itself cuz it could be cracked. I had one blister up and crack so the impeller couldn't move freely anymore. If that is the case in your situation I can tell you a way to fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I run 3 Q1 6000's and if I remove them from the sump and start them up again I get some airlock. I usually just shake the pump and it expels the air and begins to run normally. Not sure if this is your particular problem, but, I run one pump on a sump I frequently have to remove and it airlocks every time it leaves the water. If I don't give it a shake it'll make noise but refuse to move any water.

Worth a try before replacing parts/pumps.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Pretty sure it is overheating on you. You gotta take it apart and check the ceramic shaft for wear. Also check the impeller housing of the pump itself cuz it could be cracked. I had one blister up and crack so the impeller couldn't move freely anymore. If that is the case in your situation I can tell you a way to fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
the ceramic shaft is fine. absolutely no wear.

I run 3 Q1 6000's and if I remove them from the sump and start them up again I get some airlock. I usually just shake the pump and it expels the air and begins to run normally. Not sure if this is your particular problem, but, I run one pump on a sump I frequently have to remove and it airlocks every time it leaves the water. If I don't give it a shake it'll make noise but refuse to move any water.

Worth a try before replacing parts/pumps.
yea tats what i did with the pump on my old sump. It would eventually work but its just refusing to do so on the different sump. When you say shake the pump, do u mean wen its hooked up to the sump or by itself?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
The one I run that does it often is attached to an 1 1/2 check valve then to 1" tubing, but the sump sits next to the tank and it's pretty deep. I literally pick up the tubing above the check valve and give it a good shake in the sump, hooked up and running.

It never gives me trouble if it stays submerged though.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
The one I run that does it often is attached to an 1 1/2 check valve then to 1" tubing, but the sump sits next to the tank and it's pretty deep. I literally pick up the tubing above the check valve and give it a good shake in the sump, hooked up and running.

It never gives me trouble if it stays submerged though.
yea im having tat exact problem when i had to turn off my pump wen it was still submerged it wud come back to life, but now with it exposed to air, its having problems. Ill def try tat tomorrow. the only problem i see is that my pump is hooked externally to hard pvc so its hard to shake without cracking the bulkhead or the pvc

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
yea im having tat exact problem when i had to turn off my pump wen it was still submerged it wud come back to life, but now with it exposed to air, its having problems. Ill def try tat tomorrow. the only problem i see is that my pump is hooked externally to hard pvc so its hard to shake without cracking the bulkhead or the pvc
ahh.....that could be a bit of an issue. I use flex pipe on all returns to the tank level and never glue anything underwater or in the sump. Maybe you could disconnect the output pipe, get it running, then unplug it and reattach the return?

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
ahh.....that could be a bit of an issue. I use flex pipe on all returns to the tank level and never glue anything underwater or in the sump. Maybe you could disconnect the output pipe, get it running, then unplug it and reattach the return?
the only problem is that water would be shooting everywhere and i think ive done enuf damage to the hardwood floor haha

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Before attaching the pump, be sure to get all the air out, holding (shaking) the pump underwater.
There could also be a short, or the inner casing could be worn enough to make it unusable.
I had a Mag Drive impeller that started to wobble after some grains of play sand got in, the hole where the impeller road actually became the shape of a figure 8,(needless to say, I stopped using play sand).
This pump would come on for a while, but then get hot and shut down.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
the only problem is that water would be shooting everywhere and i think ive done enuf damage to the hardwood floor haha
If the sump is decent sized, disconnect the out put and turn it in its side so the water won't shoot up. As soon as you have water movement, unplug, reconnect output and see if it works.

I know what your saying about the water though. When I tested mine in the bathtub before I installed it, I was amazed by how high the water came out lol. I quickly turned it sideways and towelled off the ceiling lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store