Scratches in tank, worried?

chunders

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2013
IL
I bought a used tank and there are scratches on it. I don't know how to determine if a scratch is considered deep, but when I turned the light on I could definitely see there were scratches. Few big ones across and then some smaller swirly ones.

Should I be worried about the tank being less durable?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are they scratches, or stress cracks?
This is a stress crack, and before I filled the tank, I sandwiched it between 2 pieces of glass, siliconed 1 on the outside and 1 inside of the tank.

The tank below has been set up since 1987, as is.

chunders

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2013
IL
Mine are more scratches. Like a rock scratched it while settling and the lgihter scratches looked like sand got between the magnet cleaner and glass

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
Might be good to clarify if you're talking a "glass" aquarium or acrylic. I'm guessing glass...but it wasn't exactly spelled out.

Some people do use the term "glass" even though they mean acrylic (if it's an acrylic tank they have).

It's just like some folks call all carbonated beverages "coke".

- "What beverage would you like sir?"
- "coke"
- "What kind of coke?"
- "Sprite"

chunders

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2013
IL
Might be good to clarify if you're talking a "glass" aquarium or acrylic. I'm guessing glass...but it wasn't exactly spelled out.

Some people do use the term "glass" even though they mean acrylic (if it's an acrylic tank they have).

It's just like some folks call all carbonated beverages "coke".

- "What beverage would you like sir?"
- "coke"
- "What kind of coke?"
- "Sprite"

I believe there was a tag on there that said all panels are tampered glass, let me check tonight. Thank you.

Andy02793

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
CA
Thanks for your very helpful response.

But actually I was asking if scratches reduce the durability overall of the tank.
NP lol. I dont think they do, I recently bought a 55 and when i filled it I noticed A LOT of scratches and the owner said he has had it up for 3 years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store