Breeding Question...

275ti03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Cali
I was just wondering if it is possible to mate rays outside of their classification???
Like for example... a male/female motoro w/ a male/female flower...
input please...
thanks...

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
Its very hard to do most of the time.. Its hard enough to just breed same breeds.. Its been done.. But I dont ever see a motoro/flower.. Ive seen pearl/motoro henlei/motoros henlei/pearls and so on.. But I dont know anyone in the states that has done it.. But I really like the morphs..

275ti03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Cali
Thanks for the input fellas'... I figured it was do-able... I just wasn't sure...

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Just from another perspective - with South America soon to be shutting it's doors to ray export, we should focus on keeping pure strains of them going in captivity. Mixing often times results in genetic mutations which will have a negative effect later on down the line.

To answer your question though, yes - with in the potamotryon genus it's possible. I've seen a few mixed pups in the US.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Zoodiver;687974; said:
Just from another perspective - with South America soon to be shutting it's doors to ray export, we should focus on keeping pure strains of them going in captivity. Mixing often times results in genetic mutations which will have a negative effect later on down the line.

To answer your question though, yes - with in the potamotryon genus it's possible. I've seen a few mixed pups in the US.
Never thought of that.. thanks for mentioning it...

After mix matchin species, they must be genetically weaker like EBJD are down the line...

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
With the shutting down of exports, I'm hoping that people will be more interested in keeping their lines of rays even more pure than just not crossing different species, ie. only breeding marble motoros with marble motoros, and not chain link or others. Many cichlids were bred for years with no-one caring about where they came from, just that they were the same species, and now there are so many hybrids out there that it can be hard to find pure specimens of some species.

275ti03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Cali
African_Fever;688096; said:
With the shutting down of exports, I'm hoping that people will be more interested in keeping their lines of rays even more pure than just not crossing different species, ie. only breeding marble motoros with marble motoros, and not chain link or others. Many cichlids were bred for years with no-one caring about where they came from, just that they were the same species, and now there are so many hybrids out there that it can be hard to find pure specimens of some species.
I'll keep that in mind... thanks... Now I'm going to create a new breed of rays... hahhaah j/k...

blue_pill85

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2006
peoria il
Zoodiver;687974; said:

for once i am actually against hybridization at this point!!! till they become easier to obtain at least!!!:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store