Tank Size Help 180

front

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Windsor ON
ok, so im getting a 180 gallon tank in a couple weeks. I have a 4 inch spotted gar, four 2-4 inch frontosas, a 2 inch dat, and a 5 inch Senegal bichir all in a 55 gallon. they are all doing great and get along awesome so aggression isn't a factor in size... would a 180 gallon be ok for all these fish long term? it would be 6x2x2

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
i don't know anything about frontosas so i cant help ya there. but I feel loke the dats will end up eating the bichir and there is a possibility that the gar could outgrow the tank but that could be hit or miss and be quite a few years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ftk909

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2011
West coastin'
Long term the fish would be fine in a 180. As for datnoids they do grow very slow so im sure the datboid wont eat the bichir. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Long term the fish would be fine in a 180. As for datnoids they do grow very slow so im sure the datboid wont eat the bichir. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1, datnoids mouths are pretty small compared to body size.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

front

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Windsor ON
do you think that is fully stocked? could I put in a teacup ray or a red tail tinfoil or two? thanks guys... (im having trouble imagining my full grown fish in my tank lol) I know rays produce a lot of ammonia though

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I think eventually the gar could eat the senegal... Doubt the dat would unless it got really big and the senegal stayed smallish- wouldnt say their mouths are small, mine certainly doesnt have a small mouth even compared to his body size. I have same combo of gar, dats, senegal as well as others. senegal is being moved soon cus my ornate keeps making lunges for him, hes been lucky so far!! Id say yes to some tinfoils, bare in mind they are schooling/shoaling fish- though gars have the potential to dislike shiny silver fish. Dont know anything about rays except what ive read on here, but from that id say no

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You will be fine. I would throw a few more fish in there to fill it up while they're still growing. Just make sure you don't cheap out on filtration

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I'm not familiar with any of the fish on your list, but being the owner of a 200G and big fan of rays, i can pretty much tell you, no ray will last in a 180G for life unfortunately, otherwise, i'd likely own one too :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
That list is certainly not over stocked for a 180g.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store