Is this brand of pfs safe for aquariums?

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
No idea but where on that bag does it say pool filter sand?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I've purchased pfs from multiple pool/spa stores and never had issues..it's the best sand to me because of the whiter look and the grains are larger than other sand (like play sand)...just make sure you run water through it first before u add it to your tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I finally got it some pfs from a pool and spa warehouse store. I haven't opened the bag yet and I don't have pics yet. Just wondering if it is safe for aquariums? here is a pic I found from google on it.
I copied this from a search on that label.
:confused:

Nepheline syenite
Chemical composition:

The chemical peculiarities of the nepheline-syenites are well marked. They are exceedingly rich in alkalis and in alumina (hence the abundance of felspathoids and alkali feldspars) with silica varying from 50 to 56%, while lime, magnesia and iron are never present in great quantity, though somewhat more variable than the other components. A worldwide average of the major elements in nepheline syenite tabulated by Barker (1983) is listed below, expressed as weight percent oxides.
Nepheline syenite is characterized by high ratio of (Na2O+K2O)/SiO2 and (Na2O+K2O)/Al2O3, which are represented respectively by the existence of nepheline and alkaline mafic minerals. Therefore, it is classified geochemically as alkaline rock. This rock has low Fe and Mg contents, in total about 3wt%, and in this sense it is classified to be felsic rock. However, the SiO2 content is not so high, being 53% to 62wt%, which is equivalent to andesite and diorite. In this sense, it corresponds to intermediate rock. Light rare earth elements are highly concentrated, indicating that the magma is highly differentiated.
SiO2 — 54.99%
TiO2 — 0.60%
Al2O3 — 20.96%
Fe2O3 — 2.25%
FeO — 2.05%
MnO — 0.15%
MgO — 0.77%
CaO — 2.31%
Na2O — 8.23%
K2O — 5.58%
H2O — 1.47%
P2O5 — 0.13%
The normative mineralogy of this average composition contains about 22 percent nepheline and 66 percent feldspar.
Because nepheline syenite lacks quartz and is rich in feldspar and nepheline, it is used in the manufacturing of glass and ceramics.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
The stuff I get pretty much says the same thing...I've used it with all types of fish and zero problems..in fact I'm about to set up 2 new tanks using it..I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't imagine the chemical makeup varies that much from brand to brand...I'd go ahead with it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store