Advice needed for getting a 220g up 3 flights of stairs!

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Hello Fellow MFKers!

I am struggling, to say the least, at getting a 220 gallon, 400 lbs, 6 x 2 x 2 1/2 tank up my stairs. I feel like I lost my man card today because I couldn't get the thing up stairs with the help from Zach(creepyolddude.) He held his end fine but I just didn't have the strength to carry 200lbs up anymore stairs.

The tank MIGHT go up if I can get a 3rd person to help. 2 people push from the bottom while one pops it up each step so it doesn't get stuck. I still don't think with the awkward curves of my steps that will work.

What I am thinking, and what I need your All's advice for, is to cut the silicon and carry each glass panel up separately, then re-silicone it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this a viable solution to my problem?

The stand and sump are already upstairs. I just need the dang tank on top of them both.

Thanks for any help. If anyone has experience and happens to be in my area of Frederick, MD, I would welcome any assistance!

-Quick

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I just had that same problem, I've got (2) 135g tank to carry off at our 2nd floor which we live in, I had to pay up some men to carry this, also the metallic stand was with it so imagine our effort carrying such big tanks. BTW, you answered your question, slice it up, why? You couldn't afford to let your tank be destroyed by strains as you're carrying it, that's pretty much I'm what gonna do.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
it would scare me to have a tank that large upstairs.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
In this situation . if you can get your hands on a piano skid it would be great. just strap the tank down . and pull away . The piano skid has a lip on it so the two of you can pull and slide it up the stairs. Good luck. Mine was a pain and it was only 300 lbs.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
BTW, check out the weight of the tank (include everything, water, etc.), so you could place it in a safe place, accordingly, as you've said it's above a room or whatnot (I assume as the 'stair's come in) , so it'll be a problem if you don't survey and plan things first.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Do your stairs go straight up or is there a turn? My neighbor and I got my 240 up two flights of stairs, but it's acrylic so it was about half the weight of yours. There's a 180 degree landing in the middle of the stairs though so we had to tilt the tank on its side and up over the rail (luckily the landing is carpeted but it was scary balancing an 8ft tank lol). A few weeks ago I was thinking about upgrading to my friend's 350g bowfront, but before deciding that would be too much load on the concrete floors (2700lbs vs 4100) I was gonna get some of those suction cup handles to make it easier to carry. It would be a tight squeeze with two ppl on one end tho so it might be a better idea to just hire a moving company willing to insure the tank in case they drop it lol.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Try an appliance dolly ( with the straps ) put on the end and strap it , place a furniture pad as to not scratch and take it one step at a time, might work as the two wheeler will be supporting the weight. You will only have to lift from one step to the next and can take a break when needed. I know this is not recommended but I would try this before taking the whole tank apart.
Good luck

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Thank you for the assistance you guys. There are 3 turns it needs to make and they are tight.

You guys brought up a good point I didn't think of. It is going to be about 2000 lbs sitting on a floor above someone Else's home. I may not have an option but to let it go.

It is an Oceanic 220 gallon. It is all glass, no acrylic, and the glass is much much thicker. It may be well over 400lbs.

I can tell you this. From as much as I did carry it up the stairs. My back, legs, arms are really sore this morning, haha.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ill be watching this thread for sure. Im picking up a 300gal after christmas from my cousin but it needs to go down a flight of stairs with a right turn in the middle where theres like a flat standing part before the rest of the stairs begin after the bend. I remember getting my 120 down there was a hudge pain and very frusterating and tiresome. I can only imagin the troubles people go through just to fit an aquarium through the door lol.

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
It isn't moving up the stairs. I am selling it to one of the members on the site. He is hiring a moving company.

I should have done that, haha. My back is killing me now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store