Purigen Question

aaron7353

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Iowa
I have read up on Purigen recently and have been quite impressed with all the descriptions and reviews of it. My questions are, is it really what it's talked up to be? I have a decently planted and heavily stocked 125. I'm thinking of filling my fx5 with that and bio media. Would it be a catch all media per say? Is it as effective as carbon? I've heard the purigen doesn't really touch fertilizers, so that's a plus. Any and all advice and info is appreciated!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I have some Purigen that has been in service for over 10 years. Recharges over and over pretty much indefinitely.

It's not as aggressive with the things it removes as carbon but really seems to like organic compounds, so in effect your bio won't do all the work.

I've used it in canisters, sumps, hobs all with great results. Nice thing about it is you can look at it and see when it's saturated. Clean its white, dirty it's dark brown.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
As soon as I found Purigen I stopped even considering using carbon for anything but medicine removal; can't say enough good things about it.

aaron7353

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Iowa
Thanks a lot, I'll definitely have to get some. I've heard it needs a super fine mesh bag. Is that true? Where can I get these?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
It works great I also have a mesh bag of purigen as well, I have had it for several years an it still works great. It is really easy to clean as stated too. I am not sure where you can get a mesh bag for it -mine came with a mesh bag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store