Pinch your barbs!

I had a flashback to the time I spent a few hours in hospital due to a giant treble hook. Pinch down your barbs kids. It will save your day of fishing, because you can just back out your hooks. Plus it saves wear and tear on the fishes mouths that you release.

Ryan144

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
new jersey
I'm a firm believer in putting down those barbs. Its better for the fish and if you ever hook yourself you'll be glad you did

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Rip it out like a man, super glue your wound shut and keep on fishing. Works for me.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Rip it out like a man, super glue your wound shut and keep on fishing. Works for me.
Ya ive never pinched my barbs closed but ive had quite a few hooks land in my arms and hands and once in my shoulder. I hate doing this because I always bleed a lot. The bass in my profile picture jumped up as I was taking the lure out of his mouth and the hook landed in the side of my finger. The lure was a rebel popr magnum and it was a treble hook. Hurt like a you know what but I continued to fish and when I lipped the bass I was bleeding all over its mouth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Will i lose a lot more hook ups? I plan on doing this but not if i will lose fish because of it
You will lose a fish or two. but that's fishing.

trust me, you want no part, no part of even a medium sized treble hook in you. no part... no part if it hits bone or nerve and you cant just "rip it out".

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
been hooked a few times but usually common sense will save you from those situations. typically carry wire cutters and superglue just in case

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
Just pinched my tiger barbs and their eyes popped out and they're floating on top of my tank. Are they going to die? Seriously though, I've taken a few hooks in my hands but the worst was when I accidently sat on a very large Rapala crankbait....yes,there was penetration....yes, it hurt..a lot. I just pulled it out with pliers but I think I still have a mark down there.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Will i lose a lot more hook ups? I plan on doing this but not if i will lose fish because of it
Hello; I have been pinching down the barbs on my hooks for a number of years now. I know that I lose a number of fish due to this. I also feel much more of a sense of accomplishment when I do land a fish on a barbless hook. I generally release the fish caught regardless and have seen most fish with very little injury with the barbless hooks. As stated by others, the barbless hook slides out without ripping flesh in either fish or fisherman.

Fishing with a friend one day and he managed to hook himself in the neck with a barbed hook. The best we could do on the water was cut the shank of the hook with nippers. he had the hook removed later.

I tie my own fly lures and have found some hooks manufactured with no barbs at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store