coral care

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
I am going to make my 29 biocube into a reef tank, with only softies, and need to know if I need to do anything for them, besides give them the right amount of light. Do I need to dose, or spot feed? My tank will have a chaeto refugium in the 2nd chamber, that will have lots of tis by pods in it, will this be enough for them to eat? Thanks!

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
It would be smart to dose with calcium and alk buffer, It's not exactly necessary but it it's extremely helpful. You can feed with many different types of foods, I use frozen mysis shrimp and my corals seem happy.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
What type of lighting does your tank have? They will returning what you can keep. Also keep in mind that some types of coral are purely photosynthetic while others need additional food/supplements. Make sure you do your research so you know you're taking care of everything properly.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
My tank is the coralife 29 gallon biocube and it has 2 power compacts and 3 LEDs, so roughly 2.5 watts per gallon. I was thinking of putting some mushrooms, leathers, ricorda, pulsing xenia, and some zoas.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
My tank is the coralife 29 gallon biocube and it has 2 power compacts and 3 LEDs, so roughly 2.5 watts per gallon. I was thinking of putting some mushrooms, leathers, ricorda, pulsing xenia, and some zoas.
Maybe up the lighting, I'm at 7.5 wpg on my tank.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That lighting is fine for softies. You don't really need to worry about calcium unless you plan on keeping lps corals, your lighting isn't sufficient enough for sps. Before you think about dosing, you should test for magnesium (b/w 1250-1350ppm) and iodine (~.06ppm), those are the most important elements for softies. If they test low, then you can consider dosing, but once a week wc should be efficient enough to keep the parameters in check unless you have a lot of corals. If you keep gargonians, sea fans and the like, you can also test for calcium. I feed my reef phytoplankton everyday and cyclopeeze every other day. It doesn't hurt to spot feed the corals either to ensure all the corals get food, but majority of the corals get majority of their food by photosynthesis from the light, but I would still feed phytoplankton just for extra nutrients.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store