tilapia chunks

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
so my bass and dats are pellet trained they also love tilapia chunks. my question is if i feed tilapia chunks every other day and pellets on those off days, would that be unhealthy for them? is that too much tilapia

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Tilapia keeps my fish fuller longer, and adds girth ime, but because its not whole fish and isn't as nutritious as whole fish you can supplement by soaking it in vitachem or another nutrient supplement.

THE FAMILY GUY

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
NEW YUCK CITY
they only eat massivore gets a lil pricey and my big fish can run through a bag of pellets

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I usually stuff a couple floating carnivore sticks into my tilapia (and raw shrimp) chunks before I feed them to my fish. No on seems to notice them, with the exception of my ATF. It seems to be the most cost efficient means of feeding that I've found thus far.

*edit*
I use the floating carnivore sticks because they're pointy and easy to stick into the chunks

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
they only eat massivore gets a lil pricey and my big fish can run through a bag of pellets

Why I supplement with lots of alternatives as well.. smelt, tilapia( new for me) salmon/trout ( oily but my fish love it, ideal to feed the day before you do water changes) frozen wc stuff whatever we catch for ourselves an keep I toss our fish whatever I missed de-boneing ect.. or simply extra chunks... nightcrawlers... don't have any veggie eaters atm really but use o give my plecos zucchini/squash/ect...

I don't think that's to much tilapia... far as I'm aware dats and bass are pretty carnivourouse so eating a high fish diet shouldn't be unhealthy ( but I'm not 100% may do some research in the bass and dat sub-forums improper nutrirtion is where most fish come up sick/stunted/ect.. not "lack of food" but lack of the right food) ... the pellets on a regular basis should give them adequate vits/mins. If I fed my fish 100% pellets I'de go threw a case of massivore, a case of their floating sticks once a month if not more. and imo it wouldn't be anymore healthier for them as long as the fish your feeding them is of good quality.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
All I feed is tilapia and market shrimp. Maybe a couple times a week if that carnisticks and NLS pellets. You've seen how big my fish have grown so I would think a main tilapia diet is ok

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I'd skip feeding altogether a couple of days per week.

Predators like bass don't need to eat everyday. They're way more likely to die from the effects of too much nutrition (fatty deposits on internal organs) than from starvation.

It's less load on your filtration as well...

Matt

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
be careful not to feed to big of chunks of tilapia because you can wind up getting it stuffed up and they can not pass it out and die, so I cut my fillets into long strips then cross cut it to easier to digest pieces. I have had fish die especially smaller fish that grabbed to big a chunk to digest

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I'd skip feeding altogether a couple of days per week.

Predators like bass don't need to eat everyday. They're way more likely to die from the effects of too much nutrition (fatty deposits on internal organs) than from starvation.

It's less load on your filtration as well...

Matt
x2 adult fish in particular imo are often overfed... young fish do well fasting a day or two a week but I will sometimes fast my fish days up to an including whole weeks a few times a year ( my fish don't get fed when we go on vacation). obesity is a killer... but feeding leaner quality foods in general .. rarely do I see fat dats or bass... concave stomachs seem to be more prevalent (imo a lack of proper nutrition opposed to a lack of food itself)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store