My oldest, biggest Dat has moved to that big river in the sky

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The first Dat I got, 3 years ago, died for know apparent reason yesterday. He measured 13" and was a perfect 3 bar. I didn't realize how big he had grown till he was out of the tank. I have no idea what got him. I left the house about 9AM and when I returned at noon, he was pointed straight up barely breathing. His tail fin was mostly bleached out. No signs of aggression, nothing else matched his size or was aggressive. No other fish have any symptoms. I did a massive water change in case there was an introduced toxin. I still have 4 more that I got as babies at the first of the year.

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Sorry for the loss.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
The first Dat I got, 3 years ago, died for know apparent reason yesterday. He measured 13" and was a perfect 3 bar. I didn't realize how big he had grown till he was out of the tank. I have no idea what got him. I left the house about 9AM and when I returned at noon, he was pointed straight up barely breathing. His tail fin was mostly bleached out. No signs of aggression, nothing else matched his size or was aggressive. No other fish have any symptoms. I did a massive water change in case there was an introduced toxin. I still have 4 more that I got as babies at the first of the year.
Do you have a pic of him alive?

Sorry for your loss

Sent from my One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tough loss but at least it sounds like you gave top notch care in getting it to that size in that span of time.How big was it when you first got it?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
He was just under 6" when I got him. I had a bunch of pictures of him in my phone, but cleaned it out recently. I need to go through my computers and look. Man, it makes me mad. Some of the other fish have changed behavior since he is gone. I think he was like an all's clear sign to them since he was my biggest fish. (Some bichirs are longer, but they don't have brains)

elisuwe

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
england, wiltshire
Sorry for the loss man

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store