Quick doseing question.

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
I want to make my biocube 29 into a reef tank with mostly softies, 2 LPS, and one derasa clam. ( don't tell me the clam will outgrow the tank because I know) Will I need to dose anything like calcium, or will the clam be fine without? I will have a chaeto refugium in the second chamber of the sump, and I will not be running a protein skimmer, but I will do a 5 gallon water change every other week. Thanks.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Well you definitely should run a skimmer imo, you should also do more frequent water changes then every other week cause that sounds like a pretty long time in between water changes for such a small tank. I do a 25% water change in my 20 gallon every week. The most important supplements to dose with is calcium and alkalinity buffer, there are other supplements you can use that help but aren't exactly necessary.

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
so do I NEED to dose, or would it just make the things grow faster? an employee at a fish store i used to go to said that I don't need to run a skimmer on a biocube, because the every other week water changes would be enough. Im on a very tight budget and right now I could not afford to buy a $100 skimmer, so if I didn't need one that would be better.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
so do I NEED to dose, or would it just make the things grow faster? an employee at a fish store i used to go to said that I don't need to run a skimmer on a biocube, because the every other week water changes would be enough. Im on a very tight budget and right now I could not afford to buy a $100 skimmer, so if I didn't need one that would be better.
Supplement are used the SUPPLY things that the corals or clam need, like calcium, and if your only going to do water changes every other week then the calcium our getting from the salt your putting in wont last you that long and your corals and clam will be unhealthy so, you should definitely dose. I'm not sure what the employee at your LFS was talking about, a protein skimmer technically isn't necessary but it's a BIG help, especially if your only doing a water change every other week. I've been doing a water change in my 150 gallon every 3 weeks and some might even say thats still not enough. The biggest thing I've learned about being in this hobby is that undercutting or taking the cheap route only leads to more problem down the road. I'm sure you're aware this isn't a cheap hobby so if your on a tight budget then just be aware there will eventually be problems. I tried going cheap at first, I started with a circulation pump, a heater, a canister filter, and a power compact light. Now I have 2 circulation pumps, a 65 gallon skimmer, a refugium, a strong led lighting system, and an RO/DI unit only because it's a lot easier and a lot healthier although it may have not been cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Research 1st is suggested so you don't find yourself in this type of situation - Test kits tell you these things and if your not running a skimmer odds are your nitrates and phosphates are too high to support LPS and most esp clams. With stoneys ideally you want nitrates at 5ppm or less as higher levels of po4 walk hand in hand with higher levels of nitrate. PO4 above .05 ppm will prevent stoneys and clams from absorbing calcium - you can dose all you want and this fact will not change.

In SW reefs things are all relevant - dose calcium more than what your corals are using and you'll get a low magnesium issue and visa versa - dose too much alk and you'll have a ph issue - ignore nitrate control and phosphate control and you'll have dead corals and clams. Go get a reef test kit - test for nitrate, phosphate, alk, cal, mag and post the numbers then we can help.

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
to be straightforward; you don't. But it would help them grow faster. If not calcium or others, just using kalk water would help!
And yes, I highly recommend a protein skimmer.

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
I just ordered the API saltwater master test kit and the API reef master test kit, and they should arrive in a few days, I'll get back to you then. Have any of you had any expirience with the hydor slim skim nano, because I was thinking I would put this in the first chamber of the sump, but would this stop to much of the flow going through the first chamber? The chamber dimensions are 4.5✖4✖18. Seems like a tight fit but I think it should work out. Thanks.

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Yup I think it should probably work out. Then again, I've never used a hydor, so I'm not 100% sure on my words

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store