Betta Community Tank

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
My wife is thinking about getting into fish keeping and I was hyped until I heard what her fish of choice was going to be. I was thinking dicus or something maybe africans but she wants to start keeping Bettas. I have never kept or even had a Betta, I know they are air breathers and can be aggersive.

My wife wants to set up an 55 gallon tank with multiple bettas and some tanks mates. My question to the fourm is has anyone done such a thing. I would love to see some posters, any advice would be helpful. As she's looking for unique Bettas so anyone with info on a legit seller please include that in the post.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and pictures.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
My wife is thinking about getting into fish keeping and I was hyped until I heard what her fish of choice was going to be. I was thinking dicus or something maybe africans but she wants to start keeping Bettas. I have never kept or even had a Betta, I know they are air breathers and can be aggersive.

My wife wants to set up an 55 gallon tank with multiple bettas and some tanks mates. My question to the fourm is has anyone done such a thing. I would love to see some posters, any advice would be helpful. As she's looking for unique Bettas so anyone with info on a legit seller please include that in the post.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and pictures.
Ive seen videos online of betta communities. All you need to do to allow bettas to co exist is leave a lot of hiding areas, and a big school of dithers. Neon tetras and cory cats would be good dithers and large amounts of plants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
She could start a female Betta sorority tank and I wouldn't have less then 5 so the aggression is spread out. With Betta's it's iffy because some females are more docile then others and don't tolerate their own species well. Males shouldn't be added as they will kill off the females.
Just make sure they have plenty of hiding places to get away from each other and they should do well.

I'm really tired so I can't think of anything else at the moment but I found a post on another site explaining Betta sororities. Good luck!

http://www.fishforums.com/forum/bettas/34389-start-betta-sorority-tank.html

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
Thanks ... so having a male and like 4 or 5 females is a no go.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I didn't have problems keeping only females together in a tank. don't know if it was pure luck. there were also other small fish in there.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
I didn't have problems keeping only females together in a tank. don't know if it was pure luck. there were also other small fish in there.
What other fish did you keep with them?

silverstream123123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2013
GA
I would set up a female only tank( female dont have long fins but can still just as colorful as males) and have a large cory cat school for the bottom, but I wouldnt put any tetras in the tank because of their habit of fin nipping. Plant the tank up a lot with easy plants like java moss or fern, dwarf sag, vals, etc. and get a awesome chuck of wood and call it a day. If you want to buy a large(ish) group of female that would get along, go to basementbettas, then go to the stock shop to see some females she has for sale. with a 55 you could do somthing like 10 female and 7 or 8 cories and be good. btw your wife picked a very good fish for her first tank. good luck!

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
What other fish did you keep with them?
it's been a while since that tank so I don't remember all the fish. but a group of breeding swordtails for sure., as the bettas loved to hunt fry. for that reason, I didn't use cories. betta personalities really show better with things to hunt among plants [even fake].
females are real agile, unlike lg-finned males. non-aggressive community fish work. some tetras worked fine in a school. I stuck with smaller mouthed ones to save fry harvest. ha.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
So a Harem is not doable .. even if we went like 90 gallons?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store