Help keepin sand substrate clean

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
As many know i recently got a 120 gal, filtration is 2 aqueon 55/75 hobs with one rena xp3. Currenly have only one fish in it, my 5" common pleco. He like many commons has always produced waste as long as himself. I know its gonna take water changes and vacumin the bed but what can i do to minimize the piles of poop layin on the sand?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA

FreshwaterHawaii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2011
Hawaii
To be honest, I never vacuum my sand. I have a royal pleco and he makes a ton of debris in the water but the current usually keeps it moving around the tank so eventually my fx5's can pick it up. I have vacuumed before with just a regular suction vacuum and as long as u dont stick it in the sand, u should be okay.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
To be honest, I never vacuum my sand. I have a royal pleco and he makes a ton of debris in the water but the current usually keeps it moving around the tank so eventually my fx5's can pick it up. I have vacuumed before with just a regular suction vacuum and as long as u dont stick it in the sand, u should be okay.
Thanks. I have been vacumin the tank evry other day, and still have had spots where waste accumalates. You said your current keeps it stirred up, so im thinkin i should get somthin extra ( like the circulation pump i prevosly posted) to skim a current on the top of the sand to keep waste in the water then eventualy sucked into my filters

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I had sand in my tank before and i just took it all out recently . I think it looks a lot cleaner now and my water conditions have improved. So i think if keeping the tank clean becomes a real problem then you should consider taking the sand out. You might also want to think about using tile as a substrate. To me, its worth it and there's too much mess with sand.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
I had sand in my tank before and i just took it all out recently . I think it looks a lot cleaner now and my water conditions have improved. So i think if keeping the tank clean becomes a real problem then you should consider taking the sand out. You might also want to think about using tile as a substrate. To me, its worth it and there's too much mess with sand.
Thanks, my main problem now tho is not that my tanks water is fouled and stuff like that because its dirty, its that i dont like lookin into one of my show tanks seein poop all on the sand

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
minimize the tank décor get some power heads kickin for some flow and your filters should snag it up. Pics of the tank ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store