Power head question

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hello,
I'm purchasing a powerhead for my 55 gallon tropheus tank.

Should I get one that does 600 gallons per hour or 750 gallons per hour?

The tank is being turned over 12 times an hour over media already.
This is just to keep things off the substrate and for oxygenation.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Hard to have too much current really for strong swimming fish. I would go with the 750 and place it so you create a circular current that brings particles off the bottom up to the filter intakes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
So for me that starts in the front left top corner. It would flow across and down the glass going through my rock arrangement and to my filter intakes and then it would continue across my back glass through my second rock pile sucking it into the front current and eventually to the filters. Too easy. Should have done this some time ago.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Some times it takes more more than one to get the job done. I position them in opposite corners a lot to get that circular flow.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
As stated in Jurassic Park, "life finds a way." There will be some in cracks and crevices you don't see if you have a lot of rock in there. Just keep an eye on it. I like to add Malaysian trumpets to my cichlid tanks as well, good detritivores and keep substrate turned over. They seem to get what settles out.

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
As stated in Jurassic Park, "life finds a way." There will be some in cracks and crevices you don't see if you have a lot of rock in there. Just keep an eye on it. I like to add Malaysian trumpets to my cichlid tanks as well, good detritivores and keep substrate turned over. They seem to get what settles out.

All crap settles in one corner now that easily is cleaned. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store