6 gallon seahorse tank?

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
So I saw the 6 gallon nano cube, and I was wondering if in the future I should set it up as a seahorse tank. I would maybe put one H. Fuscus seahorse in, because I don't want to have to deal with the live food for dwarfs. On seahorsesource.com, it says that they need 15 gallons for one pair, but if I do just one seahorse, will it be okay? Do I need to do anything to the intake of the filtration, or are these seahorses to big for the water movement to hurt them? Will I need to diffuse the out put of the water from the sump? The tank dimentions are 11/11/13, I think. Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
From experience seahorses don't like to much current, and your water parameters will have to be excellent!!! Also you can wean seahorses off live brine shrimp , and get them to except frozen mysis shrimp. :)

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
mm... thats really tight. Water variables can vary a lot in just a 6 gallon, and seahorses need really clean water. But based on previous experience, that might work.

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
If I had an ATO system running, and did weekly water changes, I think it could work. What I was wondering was if the tank itself was to small for one h. Fuscus seahorse, because it is only like 13" tall. Thanks for the quick response!

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
If I had an ATO system running, and did weekly water changes, I think it could work. What I was wondering was if the tank itself was to small for one h. Fuscus seahorse, because it is only like 13" tall. Thanks for the quick response!
Well I do weekly water changes on my 20 gallon and sometimes even before it's been a week if I feel it need it. And the water for seahorses must be pristine and seahorses are pretty messy eaters so you might want to do more then just weekly.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Elasbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Pensacola
Im currently cycling a 6g nano to set up as a seahorse tank. Ive planted some Mexican caulerpa in hopes that that will help with nutrient export. Ive also added a diy protien skimmer to the back. I think it should work with 1 seahorse. Imo a pair would be pushing it.......glad to see someone has the same idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store