What's the average size a florida gar is expected to reach in a tank???

elisuwe

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
england, wiltshire
A good tank 18-22" never heard of one over 2' from a tank up bringing, all about space, water quality and food quality

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chiefmojo

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Illinois
Ive had several over the years and they all were usually in the 18" range. I have a 21" now and that's the biggest one ive ever seen in person.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
10"- 12"+ the first year if fed well and well cared for. My 3yr old grown from about 4" is pushing 18" now. ( started in a 20 moved to a 75 then a 120... now in a 1k pool.) 24" in captivity is considered a good sized fish, but they can reach larger sizes in the wild.. ( pretty much double ) so imo the potential is def there to reach those sizes we just haven't figure out what we're ( gar owners in general) are doing wrong.

Most florida gar would be happy in a 180 6'x2' footprint for a very long time. I would personally go with a 30" deep tank though if you can. As 24" even for an 18" gar is imo pretty tight since they aren't as flexible as some other fish. Go much wider and you chance them breaking their backs in a spoke/dart... it's a fine line sometimes.. and likely why many don't hit bigger sizes. Problem is when you put a 6" gar in a 180 gallon+ tank they can get up to speed and break their backs ramming into the glass... Put them in too small a tank and stunting is inevitable... along with lack of exercise ect... I suspect this has much to do with captive sizes.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Mines about 14" in a 24" width plan to get atleast a 30" in the future though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store