TATF, VATF, Lake Tanganyika, exporters and why you don't know what ATF you have.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
EDIT 2:

After some new information came to light, it is now apparent that these fish are in fact Hydrocynus tanzaniae. A new publication was made available to the community which included a key to species that made it possible to definitively tell a VATF apart from a TATF.

See here- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548086

EDIT:

This post started as a 'show off your TATF thread' but evolved into a discussion on the similarities of the TATF to VATF and the ease with which they can be confused when little. We also discussed how fish can be difficult to ID based on the place from which they are shipped because of the way exporters run their business. Here's the long post I did to clarify this subject:

It was my understanding that these were the real TATF, it seems to me that alot of other atfs comming in as tatf are actually vatfs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The problem is that the exporters send mixed shipments of tigers. The most recent import that I'm aware of had vatf, gatf, batf and (real) tatf all in the same shipment sent in as "Congo". Brevis and Tanzaniae are both quite obviously not from the Congo river and are in fact not even found in the same country.

The issues we have with imports are threefold: mixed shipments, difficulty in ID and the convoluted scientific literature on the fish in Hydrocynus.

Mixed shipments create a situation that makes it unbelievably difficult to be sure what we are getting. The existence of this problem is something I have long suspected but have only recently been able to confirm via discussions with an importer. Simply put, the exporters are just shippers. They're not the people out there actually catching the fish. They collect fish from the fishermen to be sold to importers stateside.

Lake Tanganyika based exporters are the worst. The have reasonable access to to fishermen on the Zambezi (vatf), Rufiji (tatf) Nile (batf & fatf), Lake Tanganyika (vatf), Congo (gatf, vatf and one as yet unnamed species). So while I'm quite sure we've seen some real tatf, mine included, it is possible that were getting a vatf variant that is strikingly similar to them in mixed shipments.

The final issue that complicates things is the fact that science doesn't even have a proper grip on the genus. As I've discussed before, we have five described species of atf. The problem is that genetically, there are ten lineages. Gatf, batf and fatf are all well supported genetically, but vatf and tatf are difficult to differentiate to say the very least.

As we know it now, Hydrocynus vittatus is actually a species complex that consists of four different lineages that are genetically separate enough as to not be able to breed with one another. I suspect that we have three of them in the hobby but data is lacking in order to be able to like which fish type in someones aquarium is which vatf haplogroup as described by Goodier et al. Clarifying this issue is something I'd like to do but I fear that it may not be possible without a trip to Africa.

Tatf's roll in all of this further complicates things. It is a direct descendant of the vittatus complex via allopatric speciation, making it a sister lineage to the vittatus complex. Some even consider it to be a member of the the vittatus complex. In fact, until 1986 the Tanzanian tiger fish was actually considered to be Hydrocynus vittatus.

Based on how incredibly closely related these two species are, they are fantastically difficult to tell apart. I've always been very careful when advising people on what I feel their fish may be that it is at best an educated guess as the fish need to be 8-10 inches to tell for sure. When they're tiny, you can't see lateral line scales and the fairly destinctive and unique colors that both species develop aren't yet apparent.

Without those traits, NO ONE can make more than an educated guess. I counted scales on my little tatf by clove oiling the little guy and whipping out a magnifying glass. He also developed the grey color, half stripes and steel blue adipose fin of the big ones. Basically, he looked just like the adults. I sold him because I thought they were more common than they now appear to be. This is why I say that decision was the worst one I've ever made in thus hobby!

I can't help but notice that my tatf and the handful of other confirmed specimens have a much more massive and blunter head than do vatf. I have a photo of a 9" 'real' tatf to post in order to compare to MonsterFangs beautiful 'false' tatf (really vatf), but its on my PC that I won't have access to until tonight.

I fear the revelation of the existence of the tatfs has caused a bit of excitement that caused fish that aren't really tatf to be labeled as such as a result of market demand and enthusiasm. I'm sorry if I misidentified anyone's fish, but I was always careful to caveat that they are very hard to tell apart when small.

Hopefully you guys don't eat me up too bad over this. I am a scientist and a big part of being a scientist is changing your perceptions to match available data. We all said that these little 2" fish look like a tatf, but until they're bigger, there's no way to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

[HR][/HR]
[HR][/HR]

Original Post:

Hey all!

Lets show off our TATFs! These guys don't get enough love and deserve a thread where everyone who is interested in them can come to check 'em out!

I'll go first. Here's my little guy, got him from Wes at 2" and sold him four months later at just under 6". Selling this guy was THE BIGGEST mistake I've made since I've been in the hobby.

Here he is. Note the interesting slate grey color, subdued stripes and blue adipose fin that is characteristic of this species. These traits became very apparent by the second batch below when he was larger. The first batch is when I first got him at a hair over 2", the second batch is when he was pushing 6".

tatf baby.jpg

20121109c.jpg

20121109b.jpg

20121109a.jpg

531887_10151325805354417_965012272_n.jpg

13678_10151325805494417_2146573686_n.jpg

284808_10151325805679417_1801784463_n.jpg

321139_10151325913464417_630994538_n.jpg

tatf baby.jpg

20121109c.jpg

20121109b.jpg

20121109a.jpg

531887_10151325805354417_965012272_n.jpg

13678_10151325805494417_2146573686_n.jpg

284808_10151325805679417_1801784463_n.jpg

321139_10151325913464417_630994538_n.jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Here's some pics of some larger fish. These aren't mine, though. I realize a lot of you may have seen these in the ID thread, but I still wanted to included these for those who might not have seen them. :)

tanzaniae7.jpg

tanzaniae6.jpg

tatfshowcase.jpg

tanzaniae5.jpg

tanzaniae4.jpg

tigerfish2-kilombero.jpg

tatf large.jpg

tanzaniae6.jpg

tatfshowcase.jpg

tigerfish2-kilombero.jpg

tatf large.jpg

tanzaniae7.jpg

tanzaniae5.jpg

tanzaniae4.jpg

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
2 Taft.JPG
3 Both.JPG
Taft is on the bottom in the second picture. Awesome thread Chicx, can't wait until more people post their taft.

2 Taft.JPG

3 Both.JPG

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I love the way the head looks on the big wild ones

Cant wait to see some growout pics when everyones get big

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think they're great from the gill plate forward......

From the gill plate back makes me sad. IF ANYONE knows where to get 100% positive ID'd Vittatus I'd love to know where they are. :(

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I think they're great from the gill plate forward......

From the gill plate back makes me sad. IF ANYONE knows where to get 100% positive ID'd Vittatus I'd love to know where they are. :(
I'm going to be doing one of my write ups covering this very subject in great detail in the coming weeks. I just have to find time to do it between working 48 hours a week, a five month old and a full time college schedule. :nilly:

Your fish, or at least a few of them, very well may be vittatus. A while back I did a post on how difficult these things can be to ID, but I had NO IDEA just how truly difficult it could be. There are factors that come in to play that makes this situation an order of magnitude more complicated....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store