My gar just jumped out!!!

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Idk what happened about 20ins ago I heard a knocking noise like an animal was under my fish tank running around and it woke me up. I thought it was my Fx5 doing its daily shut off and the hoses hitting off the wall. It did it again and I was like wtf is that. Looked underneath saw nothing so I went to the bathroom. I came back and heard the noise again. I looked under my night stand and there he was somewhat dry but still breathing. I scooped him up and threw him back in the tank he went straight to the bottom and is now laying there but he is breathing. Idk what happened I've never had a problem with him jumping :/ hope he pulls through he's one of my fav fish!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Well he's already swimming around with no issue. No injuries I can see which is surprising he had to have fell from about 5 ft. He just gunked up my tank with fuzz. Ill have to do a water change in the morning

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I had some of my gar jump out of the big tank during the time my kois were spawning(probably get spoke by the kois). I went home that day and found two of my biggest gar on the grass, lucky that the grass was wet due to the water from sprinkle system set up to water the lawn.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
They are very hearty fish in this reguard usually.. just watch out for a secondary infection from his slime coat getting stripped... a water change is spot on... might also do another one in 3-5 days ect just to keep your water quality as pristine as possible. The fact hes swimming around ect so soon is a great sign but I would still be wary for the next few days.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Yeah I'm keeping an eye on him. I'm going to close off those holes on the back of my tank also so this doesn't happen again. My guess is one of the bass spooked him

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Bass and gar are bad tankmates. Chances are it will happen again, Hopefully next time he doesn't break his back ect. There I said it as I'm sure others will too, and I know you know this so I wont' say it again...

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Yeah I do. Just at this time it's the only place I have for him. My 120 would be a little cramped for him.

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
i have been really lucky with keeping gar never had one to jump out but i am sure the moment i say that lol it will change. my mom used to keep alot of swordtails back in the day and that was the only fish we had an issue with about jumping out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store