Live rock in a cold water tank?

fishman112

Candiru
MFK Member
I have done literally hours of research tonight, trying to find out if the bacteria in live rock in tropical tanks, also works/lives in live rock in temperate aqua?.
If not, would i just go about skimming with a wet dry for a cold water fo(wlr)?

Cliff519

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Canada
It should work. After all, there is bacteria in northern and southern areas of the oceans were the temp gets pretty cold

I'm not to sure of what you could stock in it tho. It might be a better idea to put a heater in the set-up so it might be easier to find fish from a LFS that way

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I actually have the opposite - north Atlantic shelf rock in a tropical set up. The coralline is pink and white. The Aerobic bacteria is the same however grows slower in cooler temps. The anaerobic bacteria ( denitrifying ) is totally different. Currently it is unknown how many strains exist basically so many they are uncountable. Each strain will grow in an A specific environment including cool water tanks. This b+b will grow thru cycling and maturity not by adding tropical cycled rock. How it occurs is light, water, + protein/ammino acids - out of this primordial ooze comes bacterial life.

My whole tank is not just Atlantic shelf but a mix from all over the world in order to collect as many different colors of coralline as possible. Currently I have - yellow, white, various shades of pink, lime green, red/maroon, and of course purple. For a short period of time I had a small patch of blue however it moved on to greener pastures.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I will think a lot of the bacteria will die and some will live. I will lower the temperture slowly so you don't kill to much bacteria at once. As you lower the tempeture natrual selection will take place. The bacteria which will survive the new tempeture will live to reproduce. The bacteria which can't survive at the temperture will not be able to reproduce. If you lower the tempeture a little at a time you will give enough time for the bacteria to reproduce. If you lower the tempeture to quicker the bacteria will no be able to adapt and reproduce quick enough to the new environmental conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store