Filters: FX5, FX6 or Eheim 2260

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

I have a 6x2x2 currently running an Eheim 2080 and a Classic 2217, after many attempts to mod the 2080 to mechanically perform i have decided that it is a totally rubbish filter for mech, my bio stats are impeccable however!

I plan to remove the classic and purchase a high flow filter and use it ONLY for mechanical filtration. I will keep the 2080 running but i will halve the lengths of the intake pipes to avoid a lot of the fish poop from the bottom of the tank.

I have looked at FX5, FX6 or Eheim 2260 for the next purchase, (I cannot get a 2262 as they don't sell them in Australia)

I need some comments, please remember that i only want to use this filter for mechanical filtration.

Does the 2013 FX5's have all of the issues i have relentlessly read about? Is the FX6 an improvement on the FX5? Is the 2260 really worth the extra money given that it has much less flow that the FX5?

(Please keep this topical and not start brand wars!! - I am looking for people with REAL WORLD experience with these filters: -

preferably ID LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO HAVE BOTH FX5 and 2260 running and hear REAL WORLD comparisons - I have read all the forum posts saying FX5 are crap, but they are mainly posted years ago)

Love to hear from you!!

Thanks

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
If you have already a 2080, then I would just add a fx5 for mechanical and call it a day, if you want to completely replace 2080, then I would use 2260 or if you want even more flow, just buy the pump that is on the 2262 separately and make your own 2262.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
If you have already a 2080, then I would just add a fx5 for mechanical and call it a day, if you want to completely replace 2080, then I would use 2260 or if you want even more flow, just buy the pump that is on the 2262 separately and make your own 2262.

Hi,I was going to keep the 2080 running but just for bio.

Are the fx5 as unreliable as they seem to be in the forum posts?I dint want to buy something that's just going to break!

Sent from my One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
If price is not critical, I would get the 2260; much more reliable(no electronics)

Here is the thing with fx5, majority of them are fine but there are cases where there are problems; just search the forum.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
If price is not critical, I would get the 2260; much more reliable(no electronics)

Here is the thing with fx5, majority of them are fine but there are cases where there are problems; just search the forum.

How would you stack the 2260 to get the good mechanical filtration I'm after? What media?

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
Hi,I was going to keep the 2080 running but just for bio.

Are the fx5 as unreliable as they seem to be in the forum posts?I dint want to buy something that's just going to break!

Sent from my One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
All filters have their problems, there are also fanboys which prefer fluval or eheim. Personally I like fluval cause everything I've owned that was eheim has had a shorter life span than the fluval counterparts.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
How would you stack the 2260 to get the good mechanical filtration I'm after? What media?
For better mechanical, I use about 3l of eheim mech, seachem matrix instead of eheim and if you want polishing, you can use a polishing mesh. The trade back is of course you'll need to service it more as of course they will catch more fine debris.

claude3rd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2010
Waterbury, CT
I have 2 FX5s on my 180... I got them both used and have not had any issues at all. They have been running almost a year.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I ve had a ehiem canister and fluval fx5 - I would perfer the fx5 over the ehiem I had. I like both brands but the fluval had better flow and did not break apart like my ehiem did. (I have no issues with my fx5) The ehiem was not bad but it had a much shorter life span and I did have issues with the plastic inlet pipe breaking and I had re-rig my own (its not the same model you were looking at but just my expeience with one of their canisters). The fluval compared the ehiem I had just performed better. I still liked my ehiem filter and it did what it needed to but it had issues and just didn't do as well. Not sure if that helps you at all of not but good luck figuring out which filter you want to use!

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Only FX5 issues I've had were my own fault. Runs like a dream now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store