the peculiar case of the deteriorating brichardi

TheDrake

Feeder Fish
Aug 4, 2012
United States
Hi everyone. Last Monday I drove about 70 miles away to get some brichardi from a guy. I got about 20 fish ranging in size from 1/4 - 1 inch. They were transported in 2 gallons of water in an open-top bucket with live plants and Seachem Safe (at the rec. dose for neutralizing ammonia) in an air-conditioned car. They were floated on my end, before being netted and transferred into the new tank. For 2 days after arrival they looked fine, a little nervous, but not obviously in distress. They ate, but not as much as I expected. Then over the next 2 days, they all died, first sitting on the bottom, then on their side, then done. There are a few curious things here. The first is that other fish transported the same way at the same time (including some angels and cories) in separate buckets showed absolutely no issues, so I think it's unlikely to have been an environmental issue in transit. Are brichardi known to be particularly sensitive to stress? Second, other fish (long-term healthy established...some cories) already in the tank where the brichardi went showed absolutely no issues, so I think it's unlikely to have been an environmental issue on my end. My water quality is tight with well established robust biofiltration and no nitrogenous issues (I tested repeatedly). Finally, the manner/order in which the brichardi succumbed was curious; it was, invariably, from the smallest to the largest. I have no idea what to make of all this. Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong or what I might try differently next time? thanks!

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
In had something similar happen with brichardi a few years ago. I think it was ultimately an aggression issue which caused it. I transfered 60 from tiny fry to adults out of a friends tank to a 55 dedicated to them. Over the course of two weeks the same thing happened that you described. I think when you moved them you altered the dominance hierarchy and the stress of resetting it caused the slow demise of all of them. The smallest were bullied to death at night and the largest eventually wore themselves out. When I try small groups like 6 similar sized fish this doesn't happen so I have been doing it that way since.

Sorry for you losses, hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
Doesn't surprise me that the 1/4" ones perished. Too small to be moving around IMO.

Are the angels and cories in a separate tank? Are they still ok? If so, I would think the problem is somewhere on your end in that specific tank. Did the previous owner buffer water, or use salt?

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
I doubt this is an aggression issue at that size. One thing you don't mention is your PH, If they were transferred from high PH and you put them in low they will have trouble breathing and can die from it. If there were cories in their to begin with I would suspect you run a low PH. in that tank.

Steve

TheDrake

Feeder Fish
Aug 4, 2012
United States
Thanks for all the great feedback. The previous owner did not do anything to his water other than dechlorinate. Both our pHs run just the basic side of neutral, and we don't do anything to tweak it. The angels and cories are in separate tanks but share a common sump, so the water is identical for all. They continue to do just fine. Maybe next time I would do best to start with an adult pair? That should eliminate any issues related to them being too small or being territorial?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store