Soaking Driftwood

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
Hey Monster Fishkeepers, need some tips and tricks from you . I got this piece of driftwood in March, and Iv been soaking it in my fish business sink. I let it sit in the water for a week, take it out , rinse it off, fill the sink with hit water, and then put the piece of wood back in. It's been awhile now, and the wood is still sacreating this nasty green slime. It's not tannins, its nasty green slime. The wood is from some river in Ohio. Is there anything else I can do to hurry it up so it's ready for my tank? It seems like its sacreating the same amount if green stuff as the first day I soaked it. Please let me know any tricks or ways to help me prepare it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Pressure wash it (hose) while scrubbing it with a wire brush or stiff brush.

Then, you can take the wood and put it in water overnight with bleach. Or to avoid the chemicals, as Ecoli suggested, boil it (get the internal temperature up to 160-170 for at least 10-20 minutes.). If there is anything alive, those two methods will likely kill it. Rinse it very, very thoroughly afterwards if you bleach it.

Put it back in the sink and see if the green slime is gone. If so, it was organisms. If not, the wood is likely rotting. (If you can press a pencil into the wood, it's probably rotting and not fit for an aquarium, but you probably already have checked for that.)

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is rotting. Iv checked it, and the inside is a little soft, but the outside is still good. Since the inside is soft do you think it is rotten? Ill check again tomorrow.ill definitely boil the heck out of it this week also. Ill let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store