Arowanas have characters (Lesson and Learn!!)

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
more than 2 month ago, I bought a 125 gallon tank (I already have a 10 gal 20 gal 75 gal), and a pair of 8 inch arowanas. Hope I can start to keep arowanas. It end out them refused to eat, one of the pair starved to death, another one still barely eat. If I drop a piece of raw shrimp or a live cricket into tank, it still took it about 2 hours to calm down and eat the food. So, I have to let it alone stay in a 75 gallon tank.

2 day ago, I gave all my fishes in 125 gal away, and bought a new pair of arowanas. And these arowanas start to eat and even fight for food 5 mins after been drop into tank!!!!!! They just recover from a 2 day transportation (I ordered them online), its very amazing!!!!

I have post a lot of threads to seek for help for my first pair of arowanas, people in this forum is very kind, gave me a lot of advises. I am very appreciated, unfortunately none of them works. But my new pairs don't even need any help!!

So, I start to find why, I found that the old pair of arowanas are come from a home fish sellers, he keep his fish at home(low traffic at home), because have no actual store, he refuse people to pick fish up, ship only. The new pair is from an actual fish store(high traffic at store). I remember that I have read a post about arowana online many years ago, it said that all arowanas breeder and sellers should keep young arowanas in high traffic area, so, they will have better ability to adapted into new environment and not to be excessively skittish when being relocated....SO, LESSON AND LEARN, ALWAYS BUY AROWANAS FROM ACTUAL FISH STORE OR RAISED IN HIGH TRAFFIC AREA!!! so, your aros will not scared of your and other things(new tanks, tankmates..etc)

I think that is one of the most significant reasons your aros won't eat. I have tried following 1. adjust water parameters 2.tried all the food 3.keep aros alone 4. Offering aros peaceful schooling fish tankmates 5. use cardboard wrap the tank dark it all out. When you are at same situation as me, you may need to questioning the source of your aros..

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
My arowana were not raised in a high traffic area, they eat just fine.

turtles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2012
Australia

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
I don't know then. Because I really tried everything I can possibly do. But nothing works.
I bought my 1st arowana one year ago, at my LFS, it's about 5 inch, eat fine. Finally got attach by pair of oscar and dead.
2nd is a pair of arowanas, more 2 month ago. they home raised one of them starved to death, one not eat fine
3nd is a pair of arowanas, about 2 days ago. they from a pet store. Active and eat fine.
That how I come up with the summary...
I correct--- not necessary works on everyone, but does not hurt to do in this way.

BongDini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2013
Somewhere
I CONCUR this post 100%

Saying this from my experience this is true. Now it makes sense after hearing what the OP said.

I used to have a small arowana about 4-5inch small.

When i first bought it it was kept in a plastic bag just about twice his size (those that were used to pack fish from shop to home) with a few feeder guppies together. And what's most it was being kept in a corner of the shop covered with stuffs. So it practically lived without light like that for at least a month my guess as the owner had forgotten about this little fish in bag in his store.

When i bought it the fish would sit on the bottom of the tank with alert eyes during the day. I mean seriously it just sits on the bottom of the tank for the whole day. When everyone's asleep deep in the night it then begin swimming around and feeding.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
A month in a plastic bag without heat, oxygen, or filtration.? Doubtful.

harleyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
saskatoon sk. canada
I have found that it can go either way with silver aros. I wondered at one time if I got 3 in aros they adapted easier. Well grew one from 3 to 12" ate like a champ cut up frozen fish chunks. Well it jumped. So instead of growing one out I bought a 8" one to start would not eat at all. Usually a sign of water being off I've been told. Anyways lost it to starvation. Discouraged I waited a while and lfs accidently got a 8" silver in an could not keep it in store against the rules of store. Anyways after about 3 days of getting used to his envoriment he's taking aro sticks. So some you win some you lose.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store