Leveling idea.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Hey Guys, every time I get a new tank theres always the issue of leveling it, normally I use metal sheets under the legs but had the idea of using a yellow tongue board with yoga pads or those big square kid blocks (like a puzzle thing) under the wood then the stand can be placed right on the wood.

- Tank

- Foam

- Wood

- Wood

- Padding

- Cement slab.

does this sound safe/wise? the only downside I can see is if the padding flatten completely rather then just in the areas required? My slabs only off a few mm.

Thanks guys.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
I'd be worried about the foam compressing more and more over time and maybe doing so unevenly and setting the tank off level.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
I have yet to ever have issue with leveling to any real extent to have to use foam under any of my tanks or any foam anywhere. The only leveling ive done is directly under the stand, and its done by shimming with wood or plastic sheeting.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Leveling should be done with hard objects such as shims. Foam will not level anything.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Leveling should be done with hard objects such as shims. Foam will not level anything.
Agreed, I alwaye use wood shims if I have to level a tank.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Thanks guys. I dont trust wooden shims for 4 tons of weight lol the ones I find all seem weak.

The past always metal but my lfs actually suggested the foam type. He uses this black stuff and it gives way but stays stiff . I also have a full base vs legs so with shims some would hang in the area is this safe?

Really hate leveling stands.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Best option, if you're making a steel stand, is to use adjustable feet. Otherwise I'd suggest using thin metal shims.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Wood has a fairly high compression rate. I've never had an issue using here are also composite shims that you can get. They work well too.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
By concrete slab are you inferring that its in a basement with no finished floor? If so you can pour some self leveler in the tanks area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store