Filtration for 180 Gallon

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to look into filtration for a 180. I want to stay away from canister filters! Lol I used to like them but ever since I have my 33 gallon sump hooked up to my 72 gallon bowfront...I would never go back lol.

However I just wanted to see who only uses a sump for thier 180.... as for my sump of my 72 only has 3 chambers with filter sock, 5 gallons of pond matrix and return pump.

Any ideas? Or can I just do a similair sump desihn and media but just with a larger sump?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I run a chamber less sump on my 300 just like that and only that. Same on my 120. The one on the 120 is a 32 gallon can, filter sock, bag of pond matrix and a 1200gph pump.

Don't own a 180 though. On my to do list 😁

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I run a chamber less sump on my 300 just like that and only that. Same on my 120. The one on the 120 is a 32 gallon can, filter sock, bag of pond matrix and a 1200gph pump.

Don't own a 180 though. On my to do list 😁

Thanks for the fast response, hmm chamber less? Do you have a micro bubble problem? Do you have a large bio load? How many filter socks do you use at one time?

Lol thanks!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
It's detailed in the 300 in my sig, but it basically a glass 75 with 2 7" socks (50&100 micron) 4l pond matrix in laundry bags and pond boxes attached to my pumps. All adjusted by a gate valve.

Every thing comes completely apart quick for cleaning if needed, but it stays clean because everything has to go through the socks... No bypass. No micro bubbles either as long as sump level stays within a version range. Too low and it will hot tub a little. Add water and its silent.

Arturos_J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
3 chamber is enough, filter socks - they brilliant if you've got only 2 fish in a tank. I've got 30 so doesn't work for me. Had them for a year and thrown away because they clog quickly,too much maintenance ...
Nearly every day had to be rinsed .. :/ .I prefer sponges and floss. :)

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
3 chamber is enough, filter socks - they brilliant if you've got only 2 fish in a tank. I've got 30 so doesn't work for me. Had them for a year and thrown away because they clog quickly,too much maintenance ...
Nearly every day had to be rinsed .. :/ .I prefer sponges and floss. :)
What do you mean by sponges and floss? Lmao instead of socks im guessing the "scrubbies" are used?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-FIL...3?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item51ae1b285b

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-...7?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a7790f281

you can of course buy them in bigger sizes to cover the surface, when you want to take them out for a quick rinse you just take one or two large chunks rather then 100s scrubies..:)
Ok i see, how often do you clean them and what size is your tank?

Also i remember checking out the sticky with mest media...isnt scrubbies apparently better? Idk lol ive only used filter socks due to my old hbby with saltwater...

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
300 gallon and I change the 50 once every 4-5 days. 100 once a week.

Scrubbies are great for bio I've just had great luck with Matrix and Pond Matrix in the past and the bags of them are easy to move around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store