Sump or canister

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Hey all, just recently picked up a 240g (72x24x30) and I'm now deciding on filtration. Because of space constraints under the stand I can only fit a 55g sump.

So the question is: 55g sump or a small army of large canister filters to filter a 240?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ruggwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
virginia
Depends what you are looking for. I have a higher bioload on my 300g and run 2 fx-5s with no trouble at all.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
That's the other thing I forgot to mention, the sump would be run off an hob overflow instead of being drilled. Going canisters I guess, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arturos_J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
if you can't be asked to trouble with a little bit of diy to make a sump,which would be better in a long run,
couple of fx5s or others would do or for extra crisp throw more, and then keep momentum to clean them :D...
From my experience I stopped using canisters couple of years ago and never going back..:)

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Both! sump for bio and a canister for mechanical!

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Sump on top of the tank is a "dump" filter...doesn't require drilling...

I also don't like canisters - PITA to clean and much less bio capacity than a sump!

Matt
Matt do you have any more info on this type of sump?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Basically just a rubbermaid (plastic planter or whatever container that you want to use) filled with bio balls (or whatever)...on top of the tank that's fed from a pump in the tank...or the outflow of a canister...

Holes in the bottom of it allow water to return to the tank via gravity (i.e. dump back into the tank).

Matt

Matt do you have any more info on this type of sump?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store