Good cheap uv sterilizer

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
What brand is the cheapest but decent? And when I say cheap I'm thinking 30-40 dollars. And it's for a 55 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
It really depends on what your asking a UV sterilizer to do. Is it for just algae control? Are you looking to improve the Redox value? Are you looking to kill or control parasites and disease or bad bacteria?

Here is a really good page on the topic of UV sterilizers. I think your going to find that for the price your looking to do, there really isnt any such thing as a "good" Uv Sterilizer. UV is one of those things you cant really say "Cheap" and "Good" together in the same sentence.

Read this for good info.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumuvsterilization.html

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Good and cheap should never be used in the same sentence when describing a UV sterilizer. Honestly, I wouldnt bother if that's all you got to spend.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
I think he meant good and inexpensive. :) I have: SunSun CUP-609 9 Watt UV Pump/Filter from http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/InternalUVSterilizer.html in my 265. I initially got it to get rid of the algae that made my tank look like green pea soup which it did in about 5 days.

Like someone else said this site has a lot of info, and they are very helpful when you ask them questions.
The problem and even as its explained on the site. when it comes to UV sterilizers. You can have good but they cost and they work very well at what they do and they last. OR you can get cheap and they dont do a whole lot and you get what you pay (which is poor quality short lived very ineffective) for and most dont last long and bulb effective life is short.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
yea my tank is actually looking like green murky water. looks cool in a way for some reason but when my fiance walks in the room she says "eww you needa take care of that quick" so thats im here to get some insight/support. i might even head down to petsmart or petclub to see what they have there thanks bro

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yes, a lot of people that buy UVs to handle algae see a real improvement in the green algae. You don't need the largest sized UV for that. Getting one to handle bacteria will be larger/ more expensive and to handle parasites even more so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store