Setting up my first air system

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
I am currently setting up my first air system for my fish room. There are going to be 27 tanks total x9 20L x9 30L x7 40g breeder and x2 75g. I am in the process of setting up the PVC pipes and was wondering what size air valves or if anyone knows a good place online to order some. I will also need to get a bit to thread the PVC pipes. Any info you guys can give me would really help me out. I need to get this setup ASAP because I have already lost a few female peacocks in some of my tanks. I am also wondering how close I can have the valves on the pipe. The pump is an Altia AL-60 Air Pump which I believe can run up to 75 outlets at 24 inch depth. The room I have this setup in is actually not that big maybe 10-12 feet long by 8 ft across.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
This link might be helpful: http://www.jehmco.com/html/air_accessories.html

From their site:
"All metal valves can be self threaded into PVC pipe by first drilling an undersized hole, then thread valve into the plastic pipe by hand or chuck barb on straight valves and drive in with a screwgun style drill."

I would call them up and they should be able to walk you through the process.

Good luck!

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
First you have to figure out the tread of the valves, it may say on the packaging, then you need a drill bit the proper size and a tap which will do the actual threading. I work in a machine shop and have a chart so if you find out which thread it is I can tell you what size drill bit to use. It is really simple to do and thread is probably something like and 1/8" NPT ( National Pipe Tap) straight or tapered.

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
I found a place to order the parts. Right now I am just looking to see if I should get the AV1B or the AV1.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I used the AV1 valves (1/8" NPT) and installed the valves 1-3/4" apart to allow easy access for turning the lever. I used an 11/32" drill bit and a 1/8" NPT tap to install the valves in 3/4" Sch.40 PVC pipe. I ordered the valves from Jehmco and already had the drill bit and tap. A tap handle makes it much easier to hand tap the holes, especially if this is your first time drilling and tapping. I also used teflon tape on the valve threads for a snug fit though it probably isn't required.

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for the info! I will go with the AV1 the PVC I got is 1/2 inch because I figured I would get better air pressure out of it. Would you suggest going the 3/4 inch route?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would do the 3/4" pipe for a couple reasons. One, the smaller the diameter of the piping, the higher the pressure. This can be detrimental to a linear or diaphragm air pump. Two, the wall thickness is increased on 3/4" pipe so there is more 'meat' for tapping and installing the valves.

Also check the literature that came with the Alita AL-60 to see if there is a recommendation for the main airline size.

Some other important things to keep in mind:

It is preferred to have a main header line run around the ceiling of the room in a loop so there are no dead ends.

Tee off the main header line and pipe down to each individual tier/shelf level and then back up to the main header line.

Install at least 2 air valves for each tank. This allows you to add additional filters to each tank or for any additional air operated devices you may decide to add in the future. It's much easier to add the valves now then to shut the system down for future upgrades.

Install the air pump as high up the wall as you can. Use flexible hose to connect the pump to your PVC piping to reduce vibration and noise.

Plan the air distribution plan carefully before installing the tanks. I set my racks in position first after installing the main header line at the ceiling and then cut in the drop tees and ran the tier/shelf runs and attached them directly to the rack uprights using electrical conduit plastic clamps. I did drill, tap and install the valves prior to installing the tier/shelf runs. I used NO PVC cement on any of the PVC connections, just a rubber mallet to make sure the PVC was snug.

I also recommend getting a PVC pipe cutter. It's much easier and cleaner then cutting pipe with a hand saw though an electric chop saw works well.

Are you planning on drilling any of the tanks for an automatic water change or drip system?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store