Filter not starting up. Need help ASAP!! (resolved)

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I just had a one second power outage. After the power was back on, i realized that my filter would not start up. My filter is 3 year old ehiem 2215 canister filter. When I plug it in, it only gives a very faint humming sound. The cap where the motor is very hot. My airconditioner broke so i'm guessing the filter overheated. I put the filter under a fan and it still didn't work.

How do I get it working again? I thought ehiem was a good company! What are the chances of it frying the motors and such? It was a hot day with a sudden power loss.

NEED help asap. My fish are at stake!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
There may be air trapped in it, try priming the line with water. if not i hope someone has some advice on this matter as i just lost around $800-$1200 in equipment during "power surges" last month. You can also check the propeller for any damage but man do i feel ur pain. I had 2 marineland canisters, a rena canister,4 powerheads, 2 light fixtures, a pump in my septic system and 6 submersible pumps fry out all at once. Best advice for the future is always have a backup pump/filter and unplug everything fish related before the power comes back on. Its the surge of power coming back on that frys things out. Ive been having steady "surges" in my area due to construction and its a nightmare lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Sounds like the propeller is stuck when is the last time it was cleaned. My AquaClear filters do it every now and then. I would do a quick clean of the filter, prime the filter and propeller and restart.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Best advice for right now is do a water change and throw on another filter for the time being

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Doesn't sound good that its humming but not moving water and I hope something hasn't burned out.In such situations I usually dismantle,clean out and re set the unit.If it still does not work then something serious is probably wrong.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the advice guys. The ehiem filters suck cuz there is no way in cracking open the cap with the motors since everything is sealed inside.

Any ehiem users? How can I inspect the inside of the filter cap?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Did you clean the impellar? Pull it out and clean around the magnet and also inspect the shaft for wear.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Try plugging a hose into the intake and pump water in from from the tap until it runs through the filter. If that doesnt work it might be toast.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Did you clean the impellar? Pull it out and clean around the magnet and also inspect the shaft for wear.
i just figure out the way to take out the inpellers. It was super hot to the touch. I cleaned it out and cooled it with cold water. was it supposed to be hot? The cap was hotter than usual too. Are there only supposed to be 3 pieces to take out?

I don't see any wear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store