LR or empty sump?

aprime11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Oregon to Florida
Hey what does everyone think for setup of sump? When I set my tank up 7 months ago I had it full of LR.. When doing maintenance I noticed a layer of brown junk/debri/detris/etc on the floor of the sump as well as stuck all over the LR, basically covering them so they looked dirty. I had a feeling that this was not good so I took out all the LR and now it is bare. I have yet to put anything back in the sump besides my equipment... I used a filter sock then and now which I replace every week or 2... what do you think caused this and does it matter having it empty or full of LR? I siphoned the sump and it looks pretty clean now and remain fairly good... nothing yet to make me feel worried like i need to clean... thanks

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I run all my salt sumps pretty much empty with just a good skimmer (all euroreef). I like keeping them empty to easily siphon out the brown junk during water changes. I keep alot of rock inside my tanks for bio. If the tank has little rock and a poor skimmer more bio in the form of filtration is needed. Sounds like u got the right idea already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aprime11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Oregon to Florida
Thanks, well what I have a hard time understanding is all the people who suggest LR in the sump and say is the best for extra bio but in my case it seems like it does no good if not do more harm because detris and everything was piling up and really covering everything.. How do people make it work? Keep it clean LR bio in the sump? Did I do something wrong or is my tank just dirtier? not enough flow? I am just tryingt to figure out why it works for some but I dont think it is for me..

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
the more rock you have in the tank, the more 'natural' filtration you have. so it's highly recommended by most to have a high amount of rock in your sump. I've done it both ways, i've had rubble rock in my sump and it worked for a while... the only reason the brown gunk is developing is because of high phosphates and lack of water flow... i then tried chaeto and bare bottom...which didn't do too bad either... so i've moved on to thinking it's a personal preference...i'm sure someone could throw you all the science behind it...but i've done many ways and none seem EXTRAORDINARILY better than another..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store