I'M BACK! With a smaller, yet better Tang Tank.

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
So as the title says folks, I'm back with another Tanganyikan tank. I had my runaround with my reef tank (Wasn't successful) and then I had my runaround with my planted tank (Over run with Snails). So I decided to stick with what I know and love.

It's not as big as my 55 gallon tank that I had running a couple years ago. (Which I do love and miss dearly) But it's a 14 gallon Biocube that I plan to keep a group of 3 shelldwellers, 3 Synodontis petricola, a small Altolamprologus compressiceps, and a Julidochromis transcriptus. It is a "Planted" tank as of right now with one large Crypt that has faired through the snails and dwarf sag which I doubt anyone could kill.

You may say that this will be too much for the 14 gallon, but I assure you that I know what I'm doing. This isn't my first rodeo with a Tang tank. I had my mishaps the first time. The tank has the three stage filtration which is perfect for Tangs. Water changes will be made weekly. But realistically, I'm hoping this will be a 29 or 40 gallon tank this time next year.

A little about me, I'm 19 years old currently working through the summer attempting to make a dent in my college debt. This past year I attended the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire which wasn't for me. This next year I will be attending the much bigger/better University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. I'm going for a degree in Biology while attempting to cover pre-medicine requirements. This is the only hobby that has kept my interest for the past 13 years of my life. So yeah.

Back to the tank, I already have the Altolamprologus compressiceps, Julidochromis transcriptus "Gombe", and 1 Synodontis petricola. They are all on the 1-2" size so nothing too crazy yet. Tangs are getting hard to find around here so I'm thinking of ordering from Little Africa Aquatics since he does have beautiful fish and relatively inexpensive as well. Deciding on a pair of Wild Lepidiolamprologus Hecqui or Lamprologus callipterus since they are the most beautiful and interesting shellies. Also getting two more petricola from him. He also has Neothauma shells so I'm probably going to splurge on buying those.

Tell me what you think!

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Definitely going with the Hecqui after much more extensive research was done on the Callipterus. The callipterus will be left for a larger tank that I have planned for the future. (My Dream Tank)

djm5222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Definitely going to move the Julidochromis or Altolamprologus out. Maybe both depending on how active the Hecquis will be outside of their shell. I know the filtration can handle 6 fish just depends on how the territories are aligned and fish settle in. I'm hoping the Petricolas, for now, will eat the babies that the Hecquis produce once I obtain the pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store